Need Help with a Prawn Trap set up

The best place for prawn bait is the feed and tack store across from the Cassidy Airport south of Nanaimo. Supper oily and a great price!!

Sorry for digging up a old post but i have a few questions about prawning, What are you looking for when setting your prawn traps? rocks? sand? ledge of a drop off? never prawned before and would like to buy a couple traps because we will have some time on our hands this summer to finally.

I fish the bottom of ledges... So look for a steep drop off and lay the along the bottom of the ledge.. Prawns will travel 100' up or down in depth to feed, or so i have read.. Also i lay my traps 100' apart as not to fish against each other.

Not an expert but just make sure that the pellets/bait is wet and mushy (spelling) as it scents better. I was told that by a person that seems to get a lot of prawns.

My m.o. is 230' and I try to set it on an incline. The steeper the incline the better.

When you put your traps down how long do you leave them. I was told to put them down at begging of slack tide and pull at the end of slack tide.

short soaks are 2 1/2 hours, if pulling twice.
If you are learning an area, I suggest 2 pulls a day to zero in on the prawns, they can be finicky.
While the traps are on the second soak, do water changes in the prawn bucket till the water runs clean, then pop heads and package. My second soak is sometimes longer depending on how many I need to limit.
My second soak always out fishes my first.

Thanks for the info. We are new to prawning and trying to figure things out, we have managed to net a couple dozen each time we drop the traps but it is a work in progress. We have only tried prawning around Prince Rupert . Hopefully I will have more time to spend out there this summer and get the prawning figured out a bit more.

Back