Need advice on a boat purchase.

CanuckGame

Hey guys, so i moved to the Island in January and im dieing to get out on the water and fish, problem is i dont have a boat, ive been looking for a decent boat, but im on a budget as i just bought a house and such,

I was browsing kijiji tonight and noticed this 18' Hourston. I was hoping some of you guys could give me your thoughts on this boat. i know absolutely nothing, and dont know what i should be looking for, basically everything is a learning experience for me right now and the learning curb once i actually get a boat in the water will be even steeper im sure.

heres the boat..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...re/1192372559?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Interior looks pretty decent, but besides that i dont know what i should be looking for, any advice and tips is greatly appreciated guys. thanks in advance.

Its an old boat. If you have the $$ for it, I'd highly suggest a thorough inspection. Stringers & Transom on the hull as well as compression on the motor. It'll get you out on the water though. My neighbour up in Hardy has a Hourston, and he absolutely SLAYS up here. After that, assemble your tools & get started.

Where'd you move to?

If the hull has no rot in its stringers or transom world be a good starter boat but I am skeptical of a 30 year old motor and would plan on replacing it for safety

If the boat is sound the 18 hourston is one of the best west coast hulls for that size boat

I too would pass on the motor and the trailer looks like it's a painted steel framed trailer so I would pass on it if going in the salt. The aluminum plate on the transom may be hiding a bad transom.

Where'd you move to?

I moved near Nanaimo, live closer to Parksville/Qualicum!

thanks everyone for the insight, alot of stuff i now know to check out, i will contact the fellow and see where he stands, and get it inspected and such, but i may even pass on it and just keep saving my pennys as it may be more cost effective in the long run to buy a newer boat, or atleast one with a newer motor.

i will see where it goes! thanks again for the insight guys, much appreciated!

I moved near Nanaimo, live closer to Parksville/Qualicum!

thanks everyone for the insight, alot of stuff i now know to check out, i will contact the fellow and see where he stands, and get it inspected and such, but i may even pass on it and just keep saving my pennys as it may be more cost effective in the long run to buy a newer boat, or atleast one with a newer motor.

i will see where it goes! thanks again for the insight guys, much appreciated!
good call!!

Barriere is a long way to go for just a look! So many questions that can't be answered with just a few pictures. IF the stringers, deck and transom are sound, IF the motor has strong, even compression, IF the power tilt/trim works, IF the engine starts and idles nicely, IF the trailer brakes and hitch are good... then it might be worth $3000 or so. As others have said, those Hourston hulls have a long and deservedly fine reputation in BC waters.

I wouldn't count it out because of the power. Mid 80s 'blue stripe' Mercs are still around in good numbers, parts are relatively cheap because of volume production and numerous model years sharing parts. They're simple to work on, although diagnosis of problems is a bit more involved (but cheaper) than removing and replacing $200 electronics modules to see if that fixed the problem. Yes it will use more fuel than a modern engine, but a new unit will cost you roughly $1000 for every ten horsepower. You can buy a lotta gas and oil for $10K!

I bought a project boat four years ago for cheap because the engine was a 30 year old 2 stroke guzzler with no power tilt/trim. In its favour, the hull looked good and the trailer looked good. I beat the owner way down to $1000 because the engine was a complete liability in my eyes and would need replacing. Since then I've done a complete transom/stringer/deck rebuild, and the trailer has had new brakes, wheel bearings, lights and wiring. That 1980 engine? Turned out it had good compression but problems in the ignition system. Replaced it all: stator, regulator/rectifier, plug wires, coils and CDI units but was able to do all work myself. Inexpensive after market parts replacements for all but the stator, cost me $500. It ran so strong I decided to keep it, added an aftermarket tilt/trim for $600. It burns fuel at 3.5-4 mpg which is not as bad as you'd expect for seventies two stroke technology. New power for $13K or newish but used for $6-7K, or keep the old mill and make it work? Different paths for different folks, will depend on your appetite and time available for mechanical work. I'd be classified as 'enthusiastic amateur', willing to learn via questions, online forums, youtube videos. End result is I stuck with the motor because it had good bones and was willing to do the work to keep it running well. I've been on two lengthy multi day camping trips in that boat now so I trust it pretty good.

if you go to look, go over that transom pretty closely. that plate could be hiding some soft spots. I think that hardtop would be a pain in the butt as you will have to crouch all the time to get in and out. That motor is pretty old as well. If you can wait, something nicer may come along for a few thousand more as the season ends.

My advice would be to run away and don't look back! That "inexpensive" boat will turn into one big money pit, starting with the motor, then the trailer, then the electronics, then a kicker, then a structural re-build then a........

$3500 doesn't get you much for a boat I am afraid. All the motors will be old in your price range. If you want that boat with a good motor your in the 6k-12k range. 6k and under will have old motors.

Back