Navionics apps not Accurate issue

Redfisher

Is anyone else having the same issue as me with Navionics not being accurate on their tablets or phone?

I have a Samsung tablet that I was using while fishing over at Lasquiti. The boat location on the chart was off by a considerable amount. ie/ showing on chart at 200' and real time on boats sounder at 350'. Boat had a C-Map chip in its chartplotter and was way more accurate. Same issue with Navioics on my phone...it read the same as my tablet. Both tablet and phone have the US & Canada apps downloaded.

So I don't know if the GPS on both my devices is just not very good or if the charts themselves are not aligned very well with real time GPS. I really like having the portable device when fishing as I preplan spots and sets for stuff like prawns but this just isn't working out.

I had that issue a couple years ago up in winter harbour. I bought a garmin glo and it has been great since.

I believe the GPS in phones and tablets may be WAAS capable and the glo is WAAS and Glonass capable. That's how it was explained to me.

Depends on we're you are, angles to horizon (if you are around mountains) open flat ocean gets 180* and say in an area with tall mountains on each shoreline, you may only get 100*, thus less satellites to connect with, thus poor positioning.

I have seen this in the agricultural industry guidance systems before the system upgrade several years ago.

The area I have had noticeable problems with is not close to shoreline and there are no mountains around so in theory the GPS signals should be good. I had problems with my tablet offshore in the Central Coast last summer as it didn't jive totally with my boat unit and I know with my boat these offshore spots are usually pretty good. I am also looking to equip a boat with new electronics and am questioning Navionics and the accuracy.

Reactions: NDT
Back