Navigating the Lower Skeena from Prince Rupert Area up to Terrace

Sharphooks

Since the mid-70's I've gone up to Skeena country every October without fail to chase steelhead. But during all those years, I've never fished below Terrace

Next year I'm thinking of going from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert by boat, fishing my way north, then in mid-August, navigating up the Skeena River and doing some bar fishing for those early fall fish.

While doing some keyboard time to get some info on the lower Skeena I stumbled on a website called Misty Moorings.

Pretty amazing site!

Someone took the time to show all the navigational markers in the lower Skeena, all the way from Port Essington up to Terrace. Even the rapids are marked!

So I'm all in on steaming up the Skeena in my salt chuck boat next August!!!!

I mean if paddle wheel steamers made it all the way up to Hazelton in the early 19th century, surely I can make it up there in a 21 footer with a 150 Hp Honda, right?

Check out this Misty Moorings site---it's amazing! Gotta love the inter-web!~

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com...eena_river_run/sail_plan_skeena_river_run.php

There are no navigational marking above Port Essington. Perhaps at one time but not now. On the tide you can get upriver to Scotia Creek ( they used to boom logs out of there) but beyond that you better know the river. There have been major changes in the channel in the last 5 years or so. I have seen small tugs up as far as Kyaks River when they logged the Islands and a valley on the south side of the Skeena back in the 80's but never seen a pleasure boat other than a river boat above Tyee.

Is it doable, sure with a shallow draft boat, no fear, no common sense and lots of insurance.

I too stumbled on the misty mooring site a few weeks back. I looked at the run up the Exstall to Falls River. This is a river I am extremly familiar with. All I can say is if you followed his directions without knowing anything else, you would be in trouble.

I would take a close look at google earth sat photos of lower skeena. Search Port Essington and follow the Skeena up river from there.

Thanks for the response, Stew

Yes, those Nav aids on the Misty Moorings site look pretty sketchy---too good to be true

Google Earth is not much help---water was high during the fly-over---just a grey featureless glob of water, although you can make out some of the channels

I have run my jet boat on the Skeena downstream from Terrace for a few miles in early October. If you are planning on going that far, all I can suggest is bring about 5 or 6 spare propellers:cool:

Good advice, no doubt. But I have a secret weapon:

Ok, not so secret but you can plow gravel with these things and the prop flukes live to tell the tale

Last edited by a moderator:
Back