Nautilus reels

Jencourt

One of my buds is looking at these. (more money than I have) Ha HA .

Anyone use or know about nautilus for a mooching ?downrigger Salmon Reel.
He only looked at 1 so far and loved how it felt.

Thanks. Ray

Last edited:
I have had some experience trying to run a large arbour fly
reel on a down rigger.
they are no good for mono,braid only.
mono will compress and destroy the spool.
I learned the hard way.

I have had some experience trying to run a large arbour fly
reel on a down rigger.
they are no good for mono,braid only.
mono will compress and destroy the spool.
I learned the hard way.

Ya he would be going braid with mono top shot for sure. He is interested in hearing some reviews if anyine has used them for salmon on the rigger.

Ya he would be going braid with mono top shot for sure. He is interested in hearing some reviews if anyine has used them for salmon on the rigger.
They have a true mooching reel out now but have not seen one locally or tried one. Where did he see it ?

You need to make sure its a good high quality fly reel before you pin it to a down rigger on a regular bases.. Fill it with Dacron and good to go with mono.. Islander LX 3.8 or 4.0 for example. Not sure about Nautilus ? Isn't trotac selling those reels ?

I've used them downrigger fishing a fair bit. They have a nice smooth drag and the pick up line really fast with the large arbour. The only thing I didn't like was that they have a really quiet clicker, I like to hear it when a fish is running.

They make a mooching reel now, had a guest bring one one my boat for a 3 day charter, prefer the islander, larger arbor but not the same smooth feel and more expensive,

Abels however are excellent

dont mess around just get MR 3 s I've fished all the mooching reels out there and i have returned or sold most of them and got more MR 3 s.

Back