Nauticus smart tabs

I was having a problem with my boat (19' Glasply CC, 150 Opti) porpoising. I installed the smart tab sx as it seemed the cheapest thing to try. I had a few problems at first with a plastic fitting breaking, but after I contacted the factory I was provided with metal fittings to correct the design deficiency at no cost. I am very happy with them.

I was having a problem with my boat (19' Glasply CC, 150 Opti) porpoising. I installed the smart tab sx as it seemed the cheapest thing to try. I had a few problems at first with a plastic fitting breaking, but after I contacted the factory I was provided with metal fittings to correct the design deficiency at no cost. I am very happy with them.

I also have a 19 foot glasply but I installed (actually Wolf did it) some Bennett tabs. They are fantastic.

There was quite a discussion about these Smart Tabs on the Arima owners website a while back. You'd have to do a search but as I recollect some liked them and some didn't.

There was a couple of posts on here in the past couple of years on them as well. I had them on my Malibu 182, now I don't and I couldn't be happier they are gone. Switched over to Bennetts that allow the user to adjust 'on the fly'. They are worth their weight in gold. What didn't I like about the 'Smart' tabs...non-adjustable given variable/varying loads, nightmare when backing down (ever tried to back into the current to dock in Grappler Inlet when the tide is ripping...ugh), running with following seas at a speed that is too slow to push the tabs up so they push the nose down into the seas (green water express), broken gas seals on the shocks.

No doubt they worked to get hte boat on plane faster but that did not outweight the cons for me.

why would you want trim tabs you cant control?
The whole point of them is to be able to control how your riding..
trim up when its flat for speed, and put your nose down when its rough.

Back