Nanaimo- Bowser lakes

Charter Tofino

I want to fish lakes for trout and bass in the nanaimo to bowser area. I was wondering what lakes you can effectivly fish from shore? I ushually fish rhodo but its closed because of logging for a while. Also i wanted to know what to use. I was thinking tom thumbs and leech patterns for the flyrod and mepps for a spinning rod. Thanks if you can help.

I,ve fished from shore at Spider Lake (near Horne Lake) and it is ok for small rainbows and there is room to back-cast. Some folks use Mepps Spinners (I do) with some success, but it is a long time between bites. Spent 7 hrs and only had two fish on! I too am looking for someplace with a bit more action than that.

Long rod, tight line

Long lake is good from shore. Unsure how to get to it, but there is a great point that has deeper areas around it. I think you access the point from behind the Long Lake resort. But watch out for snags. Long has a lot of fallen timber along the treed shoreline.
The swimming area is good but the boat launch is super shallow.

Yes, Long Lake is good in April - May along the back side. Go down uplands heading south of Rutherford, turn right on Collishaw, and wind around to your right there is some trails that lead down to the lake. The wharf at divers lake is good too., And sorry, but I've never had luck at spider lake!

2nd lake up by nanaimo lakes is pretty good off the shore just using power bait of the bottom. A guy caught 2 19inches or something.

Green lake is good .Its runs off Jenkins Rd .
some spots around the lake you can cast from shore.
I've found Rappala's for rainbow and small poppers for bass.
You will be surprised whats in that lake.

I used to fish Green Lake alot when I was younger. I haven't fished there in about 20 years, but as kids we used to walk south on the rail road tracks from Aulds Rd and fish under the tressle. I don't know about the sizes now, but then, 3-5 pound bass were quite common and it is annually stocked with rainbows and native cutthroat are numerous.

Also it seems some free thinker desided to put bass into Westwood lake some number of years ago. By now the population should be well established and some of good size. This lake also holds some average sized trout. This lake is easily fished from the damn or from the bluffs. There are also a number of spots accessable from the hiking trail that encircles the whole lake.

Hope these help for your shore fishing needs.

Edited by - Nick Nameless on 04/10/2005 16:59:07

Just got back from Spider - nothing to clean! Talked to a few guys with bellyboats and one guy with a canoe - they had some luck but only in the deep which you need a boat for. I only saw 2 from shore and one I should have dove in to get! Big Rainbow! The other little fella got me so excited I lost it - oh well, until next time in 2 weeks.

Have fun guys.

Long rod, tight line

One hint for success- fish the tribs of the major systems and you will definately find the true lunks, it is spawning season and the mouths are not the only thing that are hungry..-dirty

went out today to try boomerang, but found out it was closed due to logging, so we drove all the way to rhodo. lake only to find that it was way to far from the road to pack our canoe into. so we turned around and drove back to nanaimo to try divers lake- the result was 8 nice bows landed and 6 lost in 45 mins before dinner.

I was thinking about going to rhodo today or tommorow. Its a bit of a hike to the lake. The fish are generally small in it though 8-12 inches on avg.

Back