Mystery Salmon - Coho or Spring

The day of and after it was caught (pix were 2 days after catch) there were no visible spots on the tail and it was totally silver. We started to hypothesize that it was a spring-ho with a spring head and a coho tail. Tail was spotless and squared off. I poured over the info on the dfo site the day we caught it (can you believe I had 3g at the opening of quatsino sound?) but we were still questioning it.

Thats why I brought it to this forum. In my experience this forum offers a wealth of knowledge. I am saddened that Wolf gets hate mail for posting pictures. I've enjoyed posting pix of my victories and failures here, and I also like seeing pix of others catch too.

And Peahead, we're good. I appreciate your concern about this. In the information age there's no real excuse for not identifying fish.

Coho and Chinook have been known to cross-breed at times.

Ask "IronNoggin".

I caught one off F.C. couple years back that by all accounts looked like a Chinook from the outside.

However the gums gave it away.

There are also Cutt-Bows in a lake near here. Not a true Cutt,not a true Rainbow........a cross-breed.

Tent Island, or maybe Ladysmith....where the prawns are. :p :p

I started to laff, and then I thought maybe he is not smart, but he could be well intentioned and trying to enjoy our sport--I say-let him ask all the questions he likes and if he annoys you, just move on..he isn't near as annoying as the DFO appears to be. If I see him out there I'll give him a wave and a smile!

Back