My Wife Wants A Deep Fryer......

Seafever

Don't know what to get........

Don't want to have to worry about grease fires....

Don't want to spend a fortune

Looking for something that can do battered fish basically....probably won't be used for anything else.....

Counter-top model?

The old school types seemed to use a lot of oil..........not exactly on my bucket-list....

Any ideas?

Ive got a waring one. Works good decent size basket, i use it outside on a table , bring it in after its cooled ..no smell in the house. I think it was 89.99 at cambodian tire.

I have the same one as wolf. The drain feature is great. It filters the oil as you drain and then stores the oil in the reservoir below and cleans easy.
Very good for the money.
Watch for sale price and get the big one.
I also set up outside.

Tips

Been using the TFAL one that drains and filters the oil and must admit for personal home use wes impressed with it as the heating element is in with the oil and clean up is very easy can tire has them.they come on sale for like 99 bucks. been using it now for 4 years good unit...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-ultimate-ez-clean-pro-deep-fryer-0431679p.html#.U2tn1YFdXTo

Have the TFAL one also. It is very efficient with the amount of oil it uses and the built in oil filter and separate oil separation and storage is a great feature. What I like the most is that with the exception of the element and electronic control unit which can be wiped off with paper towels, the entire unit can be taken apart quickly and placed in the dishwasher. Got mine at Costco which is also a good place to get the oil at reasonable prices. Does a good job on French and Yam Fries, spring roles etc in addition to Halibut.

WOW.... I had the TFAL. At first I thought it was great. Then the tempture setings starting rubbing off. They were painted on. When I contacted them they sent me a replacement sticker.

Then there was the filter and drain system. To good to be true. I loved it till one night it didn't poor into the storable container. Only about 25% made it in the container. Instead it flowed over the top and all over our wood floors. Felt it was my fault but couldn't figure out how it happened. But then it happened again. Back to the store it went and new floors were installed.

Its been 8 years since I owed mine. Maybe they improved them.

Good Luck,

The TFAL have had digital controls and read out for years. Never had a problem with the oil storage system leaking although I guess it is possible. Make sure the lid is fitted on the oil storage unit correctly, make sure the oil storage unit is installed correctly, Make sure the three position oil control system is always in the correct position for fry, filter and remove and let it completely drain before changing to the remove position. Don’t bump it or turn it to the wrong position while in operation. Don’t overfill the main tank past the max fill line as there is only so much room in the storage unit. Don’t filter/drain until the oil has cooled down somewhat as the removable oil storage unit is plastic but it will drain more completely if not completely cold. Never had a problem but I am careful to use it correctly. Never used an ancient model, but based on my experience I would say the newer digital model is almost idiot proof and not prone to failure if used correctly. I guess one could always place the whole unit on a large square roasting tray if one were concerned about leaking.

Got mine on sale for 79 bucks and must admit for that price really cant go wrong or go to can tire buy the propane one with pot strainer and temp all in one got that unit as well....

I have the waring and it works good, I also have the T-Fal and find I use it all the time
love the drain and filter system, no issues in 3-4 years now

T-fal is a good unit and I'd recommend it. Good temp control and no real risk of oil fire. Easy clean up as well. Could be bigger but then youd have to have somewhere to store it.

Could be bigger but then youd have to have somewhere to store it.

just like a new boat right???.... never big enough..LOL

How often would you have to change the oil int the T-fal? I know it would be more with more use but if you used it once a month would you have to change it once a month?

when you see it getting dark is when ive done it but with this machine keep the temp low(350) and your ok ill be honest I haven't done in a long time

a little late to the party, but my 2c on the topic:

i have a cheap no frills fryer that my dad got (used) from one of his customers who was trying to eat healthier, it has no drain, has no switches, all it has is a temp dial, not even an off position, just unplug it. it's electric, for countertop use, when i'm done with it i let it cool down and pour the oil back into the bottle it came in, through a funnel that i have lined with 1 ply (like half the proper thickness) of paper towel, the cheaper the paper towel, the better! this filters out the chunks. give it a good wipe out with paper towel, then spray some fantastic in it and wipe it again, that's all the cleaning i do with it!

i've no issues with it so far, for electric ones, as long as you don't turn it on with no oil in it, you SHOULDN'T have an issue with grease fires, the thermostat should make sure of that. gas ones are much more dangerous as far as that is concerned, if you boil over, it has an open flame to ignite on.

as far as oil goes, I use sunflower oil, IIRC it has one of the highest smoking points, so it will deal with being at a higher temperature, and will deal with being heated longer than other oils, so you won't need to replace it as much. it's a neutral tasting oil, so while it will have an impact on the flavor of your food, it's a mild flavor that has less impact than most oils. it's also quite cheap!

haven't used my frier for fish yet i don't think though...

Back