my next project

albernifisher

Well,seeing that my searay project has allmost come to an end I thought it was time to start another.I love my searay but it's allmost to big to go explore all the little nooks and cranny's the coast has to offer,so that has spurred me to start fixing somthing a little smaller. Here is the new project,a 13'dory. It's a uk made boston whaler knockoff,foam filled and unsinkable just like the whaler's.
The hull had a crack in it and when the owner got up on plane the water pressure peeled her open like a tin can,you can see that someone had a go at fiberglassing up all the cracks in the transom and a big chunk of fiberglass is missing from the bottom. I'm thinking that in 6-8 weeks Im going to have this boat looking like the day it was on the showroom floor
dory016_zps295d99f7.jpg

dory014_zps7631d717.jpg

dory015_zpsc0a69eb3.jpg

dory017_zps9e62825e.jpg

It's rated for a 40hp, I have a 15hp in the basement. Have to see what the pocketbook looks like when the time comes

Got the bottom all ground this morning,nothing like wearing a plastic suit and grinding in the sun for a hour.I'll wait untill its in the shade this afternoon then I'll start laying in the glass
grinding017_zps6f659c16.jpg

grinding018_zps6d7642df.jpg

2 gallons of resin and 4 layers of glass,put a 1/2 inch dowel down the middle to re create the shape.After it dries Im going to grind it a bit smoother and add another 3 layers of glass
fbrglassin005_zps5b484a4b.jpg

fbrglassin006_zps962fef63.jpg

fbrglassin007_zpsab73244c.jpg

a couple more pics. I added 4 more layers on the hull and layed on 10 layers on the transom,this weekend Im going to fair,and prime.I got a sweet deal on a 30 johnson,should motor pretty good I think. Im going to be looking for some railings,If anyone has any kicking around they think might work on this project???
moreglasssss020_zps968d2a6a.jpg

moreglasssss021_zpsb75a64ee.jpg

moreglasssss022_zpsd2217544.jpg

Nice work bud, guess your painting background really helps with projects like this, should have that skiff rippin along in no time!:cool:

That's a great project Gary. I can't wait to see the final after she's all painted etc. I hope you have been out fishing!

Rolled on a gallon of polyester spray putty. **** dries harder then a rock,wish I didnt wait a week to start sanding it
PRIMER001_zps8888248c.jpg

any progress on this one? What products can go below the waterline on trailer boats besides bottom paint and gelcoat?
I have 2 whalers from the 70's that I need to decide whether to refinish or just patch occasionally and keep fishing.

I havnt touched this one for a couple weeks, will get back at it after this weekend. As long as the boat isnt moored and sitting in the water for long periods of time just about any 2 part paint will work.

Back