My First Black Bear

If you tie your gear directly to the rigger and use it to bring in the fish yea that's cheap. My fish always have a chance and many have escaped over the years... Did this bear have a chance?

No the downrigger was not a good example. A better one would be the guy who goes to the spawning pool and snags a tyee then brags about his monster catch.

Congrats Dave..... Save some pepperoni for me! Up to Hardy late June.
Cheers
Bryan

ANYBODY !! who fishes should have no problem with hunting or hunters unless the fishermen are strictly spear fishing not using any bait gear or anything to attract the fish and really once an a hook and it gets off who really knows if that fish survived or not. Smashing a fish over the head and watching it do the wiggle and spasm is the exact same thing in actual fact fishing is more brutal then hunting cause you don't see hunters smashing animals over the head to keep them from flopping around a lot of times its 1 shot one kill.In the end my opinion is that fishing is far far more a brutal then hunting. I can say my boat catches a lot of fish and my truck and quad hauls a lot of animals in the end after a solid season fishing and hunting my boat hands down has spilled far far more blood .So why is it okay to kill a fish and not another animal be it bear, moose, elk,deer or whatever you hunt.How many times do you have to smash a big hali over there head? how many time's stab it with a knife? Are they dead? or just brain dead and bleeding out on the floor or dragging in the water.Fisherman should support hunters and hunter's should support fishermen in the end they are one of the same. As fishing you are HUNTING for fish !!

Jealously runs far, people are already jealous of David for how much fish he catches and now cause he gets a trophy bear. A 6ft bear is a shooter a 7.4 bear is trophy. I alway's have a bear tag but wont shoot unless its 6+ ft

Nice bear David

Correction 7.5ft bear !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you tie your gear directly to the rigger and use it to bring in the fish yea that's cheap. My fish always have a chance and many have escaped over the years... Did this bear have a chance?

No the downrigger was not a good example. A better one would be the guy who goes to the spawning pool and snags a tyee then brags about his monster catch.

WTF is this guy talking about?? We are talking about stalking a 7'5" predator in his own environment, killing it as quickly as possible and then eating its meat and stuffing it's fur. That's sounds like the definition of sporting to me!

Nice bear!!

WTF is this guy talking about?? We are talking about stalking a 7'5" predator in his own environment, killing it as quickly as possible and then eating its meat and stuffing it's fur. That's sounds like the definition of sporting to me!

Nice bear!!
But your fish don't have big sad brown eyes, and fish are cold and not really alive. HAHAHAHAHAHA

It really is laughable how some people can justify the death of one creature over another based on the temperature of its blood. Whatever gets you through the day I guess.......

FWIW, the Downrigger analogy was absolutely bang-on perfect

Nice bear!!

I think what he's saying is that shooting an animal is not a sport in his opinion.... I suppose he's saying that fishing with hook and line a fish can fight and get away so its more sporting. Shooting fish for example would probably be considered less sporting than hook and line.

Its his opinion and he is intitled for sure- personally I don't hunt and probably wouldn't shoot a bear but love eating game and support hunters doing their sport.

Congrats on the catch and enjooy the meat - I just love the moose and Elk my bro-in- law gives me !!

Shooting fish for example would probably be considered less sporting than hook and line.

You mean like like spear fishing? Probably the craziest and most sporting of any fishing technique....

Sorry to derail this thread, just don't get the point.

That's going to be an impressive mount. Let's see some pics of that beast when he's back from the taxi.

You mean like like spear fishing? Probably the craziest and most sporting of any fishing technique....

Sorry to derail this thread, just don't get the point.

That's going to be an impressive mount. Let's see some pics of that beast when he's back from the taxi.

Actually what I meant was shooting fish with a rifle ( like with hunting a bear) to catch them would likely be considered less 'sporting' by most people as compared to using hook and line where a fish is lured to bite and has a fighting chance to get loose. I am just saying I think that is likely the point of the post from GDW
As far as spear fishing .....also way less sporting in my opinion but thats just my opinion due to how it felt when I did it. I was a scuba diver for years and being a fisherman with hook and line since I weas 4 years old I always felt that spear fishing was less sporting than hook but I tried it just to see. Tried it once and for me it was too easy to kill a fish that way - you could go right up to the lingcod and kill it from a foot away - I completely lost interest after one dive with a spear - I am not saying I disagree with spearfishing .....or hunting but I think I understand this GDW's view.

Re Finaddic - good points ....and I can't speak for GDW but for me and my thoughts on whats sporting or not .....its not an issue about blood temperature, its all about method- for example I think flossing is not sporting even though its hook and line. I think its personal and specific ......certainly ok to have your opinion but not fair of anyone to citisize because you shot a legal bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
If hes was going to shoot the Bear and sell its gull bladder n leave the rest to spoil on the hillside..then i would be take ofence, this guy is a sportsman, he shot his bear and will have meat made into sausage and the fur made into a full mount that will likely cost him thousands..some people come on...Go to the grocery store where none of the meat was murdered before packaging right guy...

My dog Buddy loves bears.
We encountered this sign near my sister's place at Davis Bay a week or so ago and you can clearly see his reaction.

Take care.

Nice bear David!!!!!

Hunting black bears is one of the most underutilized hunts in this province. On Mid to Northern VI, there is an estimated 1 bear per sq KM, that a lot of bears. It is no problem to see 15 + bears in a single day. Hunting a few will not affect any population dynamics.

I personal like the 5.5-6' in mid Oct feeding on berries, nothing better than a berry bear!!!! Sausages, Roasts and smoked hams are some of the best you will ever eat. My wife prefers bear to deer.

Cheers

SS

That is going to be very hard to top. A beautiful bruin. Congratulations.

Honest, try hams from the hinds. Yummy.

Congrats...nice bears! You did the right thing...put as much lead as you can into it.....they are tough animals...and yes as someone else mentioned, taking out the large boars, increases the survival of the cubs in the area. Bear meat makes great sausage as well.

Back