Multiple Rods on single downrigger

Airon

Every time I attempt to run two rods on a single downrigger I end up with a complete cluster &@#$ sometime during the fishing day, why is this, any tricks to fish two lines on a single rigger?

Other than fishing Sockeye, I wouldn't bother....
just my opinion, but 2 rods in the water are plenty for me to deal with.

this is how I do it
first rod down attached to ball via scotty clip set back 10-12' rod pointed towards the back,
second rod stacked 25' up the rigger line attached via the scotty clip and set back 20' rod pointed towards the side, dont forget to ad a second set of stopper beads, I still do get the odd tangle at times if the currents are ripping, then its best to pull one off and run a single or allow more separation
Tim

I run four on two riggers all the time ....... In real heavy current like we can get the secret is to travel directly with or against it. Good description of how to stack but I seperate by about 20 feet ........ Get the odd tangle but once you get used to it it's no issue ...... The fun begins when you add smother 6 flashers per side as attractors for sox

Do not let er down too fast when stacking rods, also when you pop one off let er slip back a ways from the boat before ya reel er right up

I only run two rods as well. I used to try three or four rods but it just created such a cluster #@$$ that it wasn't worth the trouble. I find it far simpler just to run the two lines and then you can easily check them and tangles almost never happen.

FWIW-I once ran six (6) rods off one downrigger-a manual at that-I didn't even own that much gear so used two spinning rods of all things.

Good thing I never caught any fish because I wouldn't have known WTH to do!

more than 16 feet boat, I will use two rods on one down rigger. 4 rods on two down riggers are ok.

less than 16 feet boat, I will use one rod on one down rigger. two rods on two down riggers are ok.

about 15 - 20 feet apart for two rods on one down rigger.

When I used to stack id put the bottom rod about 30 ft from clip then the top one about 20 ft from clip as if you got a hit on bottom one seldom it would tangle with top rod with fish coming up from bottom, i did this system for over 10 years on the old bluewolf and could burn thru gear very fast with ease as many have seen me in the past, also would use a a 18 inch clip on the bottom and a 4 ft crimp on wire for the "top" rod set about 20 ft apart, in shallow i would even go as low as 10 ft between rods,
Also use the swival bases and bring up both rods with the downrigger then any weeds will be at clip clean top line set aside clen bottom side and reset you will get it with time.

IF not call me and ill show you what and how.....

Good luck Wolf

I do it the same as hookin up does but 20 feet apart. Same 10' feet back on the bottom line but I go about 30' back on the top rod just to try to stay ou past the bow of that bottom line. Deep rod in backholder, top rod out the side likewise. Watch the current and your turns. If I'm getting tangles, fishing by myself or are really on the fish then I'll go back to 2.

Back