MR3 question

Tips Up

Love everything about my new MR3 except that when it sits in the holder with line set to the downrigger, the line slowly creeps out. Yes I can tighten the tention to stop it but then the tention is set way too tight for playing fish.
Anyone had this problem and come up with a solution?

Thanks,
Tips

Yup, not in an MR3, but in TFO mooching reel (islander knockoff)
You can try changing the drag washer /cork .
That helped but did not totally fix the problem.

For what I paid, I am not messing around with modifications. I have only had it out twice so I am hoping it has something to do with being new and well lubed. Thought I would throw the question out there before contacting Islander.

Thanks
Tips

Just spoke to Islander. Great support and customer service. I will take it out to them and they will fix it up.
Sure is nice to deal locally.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Just spoke to Islander. Great support and customer service. I will take it out to them and they will fix it up.
Sure is nice to deal locally.

Tips

Tips, what did they tell you? I have the same problem. I just tighten it up so I can really load the rod. As soon as I set the hook I just back off the drag. Because the drag is so buttery smooth, it seems to work fine.

Highliner

They told me that it should not do that and the MR3 has not been a problem. They improved things over the MR2 (which I also use and have no problems)
I like to set the tention to where I (or a guest) will be playing the fish. It is hard to make adjustments while a good fish is screaming line.
Could be just that it is new and over lubed or could be that the cork is not the correct thickness. They will look it over and solve the problem.
I will take it out next week when I am in that area. I can let you know the result if you like.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

They told me that it should not do that and the MR3 has not been a problem. They improved things over the MR2 (which I also use and have no problems)
I like to set the tention to where I (or a guest) will be playing the fish. It is hard to make adjustments while a good fish is screaming line.
Could be just that it is new and over lubed or could be that the cork is not the correct thickness. They will look it over and solve the problem.
I will take it out next week when I am in that area. I can let you know the result if you like.

Tips

Thanks Tips, please let me know how it turns out. I migh give them a call too.

Highliner

Back