Moving Trailer Axle

Time

Finally getting to the end of a to-do list.

Need to shift the axle on the trailer to pick up another 60 - 80 pounds on the tongue weight.

Is their a formula, or ir it just experienced eye and trial and error to get the correct position for thye axle?

Easy job?

Do it with the boat on the trailer?
It's a 16 foot Arima.

Or just take to a shop?
Any idea of costs?

Pretty easy is you trailer level when you are towing. Just make sure not to rip or break any lines or wires when you move axle

I don't know of a formula, but you should be able to move the axle back with the boat on. You will need a way of raising and then supporting the frame, allowing the axle to hang free. You can use the wheeled trailer jack on the tongue to support the front, and you will need two more supports one each side, one in front and one behind the axle. If possible leave the wheels and tyres on as it will affort an extra bit of security should the trailer shift while working on it. Any bolts that are rusty or worn should be replaced with new c/w new washers and lock nuts. Mark where you want the rear spring hangers to end up. Measure accurately or your trailer won't track properly. if your lucky the axle will move easily, if not you can use a couple of come alongs to pull it back and/or sledge hammer. If you need to use a hammer don't hit the metal directly, use a block of wood on the metal and hit the wood. Before starting, take a picture of how the spring shackle sits and only tighten up the rear locating bolts, you may need to reposition the front ones to get the shakle in the same position as it was. If you have slipper type leafs then note where it sits with the weight on it before starting work. Hope thishelps

Last edited by a moderator:
Any room just to move the boat forward that's what I did. Worked out well :)

Unbolt column with winch on it and take forward a few inch or more if you can.

Any room just to move the boat forward that's what I did. Worked out well :)

Unbolt column with winch on it and take forward a few inch or more if you can.

Yes, if you have room on the tongue to move the winch stand forward, its a much easier job
should be a 4 bolt job

Thanks guys
Rollers are already at about their limit at the stern of the boat, so moving the axle is about the only option.
Looks simple enough, but I think (with my mechanical ineptitude) that I'll hire the job out.

Doug

Of course, you could make it a winter project and get out fishing. My previous boat was light on the tongue (ok if only going a short distance). I was able to get by for the summer by shifting some weight up foward for travelling. Maybe you could shift or add a little ballast up in the bow until winter?

You can do it! Just take your time and make sure you have a stock of nuts and bolts and you will definitely break some and replace with fresh parts anyways. Good suggestion by Gungadin to make it a winter project. For now just move some gear and and downrigger balls etc to your bow when you tow.

Moving stuff forward is what I have done in the past, but not using the boat much and getting to the point that I may consider selling, in which case I want to have it all ticketyboo.

Back