Mounting downriggers on my double eagle??

I just bought my first boat and will be mounting downriggers on it and have seen them in so many places on different boats from that back corner to half way up??? Any advice on the location and does anyone know of a good place to get a standup zipperback canvas done??

SS31

Congrats! Good boat.
I had a Tyee and they were mounted slightly less than half-way back along on the gunnels at the fishing deck. Just check them out so they will swivel in without trouble, leaving room to hook up the cannon ball, etc. I had the lead beds in the motor well for easy stowage without unclipping them. There's another thread here about mounting on a Wellcraft - good info. Definitely through bolt them - with back-up and bedding compound, that much better.

Canvas - where are you? Lots of good places up and down the Island. I've used H.A.M. near Duncan. Good guy, reasonable and avid fisherman. Someone else mentioned on another thread Fawcett, near Parksville I think.

Enjoy your summer on the new boat!

IMO, I had a DE for about five years. I would mount them far enough back so you can swing the boom over the transom and you have enough room so you are clear of downrigger with your net. I have lost a number of Salmon when the net caught on it.

Does your boat have any built in rod holders that would make a difference on placement? It would depend if you want to only run one set of holders or two.

If you place them in the back corners I find tangles are way less likely then when mounted further up the gunnels. Should be able to do tighter turns trouble free with the back mount, I have had both set ups, liked setting up the gear better on the gunnel mount but the back corner handled better.

X2 on the full canvas. Do b4 mounting downriggers because placement may interfere with supports. Heater would be a nice touch.

Mount the riggers first so that the canvas can be fitted around it . I liked my riggers as far back as possibe for netting room and tighter turns with out worring about tangling in the motor. Congrats on the double eagle nice boat.

Yes, I am stoked about getting my new boat. It has been countless hours on craigslist and eventually found it through a friend. I will post many pics once I get it up here..bye bye courtenay, hello Masset, Haida Gwaii...... tips up!!!!!

Back