Mounting a kicker

pescador

I'm about to mount my 8 HP Yamaha HT on my 228G Grady. I am looking at having a pod built to mirror image my Grady drive bracket. It'll sit off the transom about 29" on the port side. I am aware that normally you try to get the cavitation plate to the bottom of the hull or close to it. Given I will be mounting it on the port side of the transom and it is a long shaft. I suspect the cavitation plate will be well below the hull. Maybe 8" plus below. Is there any issue with this? I suspect its ok to be too deep, but not good to be too shallow. Any experts out there with an opinion on this? What's the general rule on setting up kickers in terms of caviations plates?

I have an 8HP Yamaha HT on my 21' BW and the cavitation plate is pretty well at the same height as the bottom of the hull. The setup that you are proposing, raise a couple of questions in my mind, but then I am not really familiar with the 228 Grady.
1) If I understand you correctly, the kicker bracket extends 29" behind the transom and as you know the 8 HP kicker weighs around 100 lbs, will that put the scuppers below the water line?
2) With the cavitation plate being approx 8" below the transom will that put the kicker power head to close to the water - in other words will it get splashed by waves and when you raise it up will it be completely out of the water when you are cruising.

Yes, it will be set back 29" off the transom as I have a swim grid it needs to go out past. The current Grady pod sits out this far. The weight if I recall of the 8hp is 105lbs. I don't think I'll have issues with the scuppers. If I do, I guess it'll need to play with counter balance in the front of the boat. The bracket I'm looking at for the kicker will be on the same horizontal line as my main engine, so, don't think water will hit the it as a general rule. Its a bit of a crap shoot as I'm learning there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out ther on the science of kicker placement.

What I did, was fab something up out of lumber and then actual mounted the kicker to check all the clearances, etc, before I took the plans to my fabricator.

Back