Mounting a downrigger

weasonedog

Wanting to mount a downrigger on fiberglass but the way the hull is built I can't get a plate or nuts on the bolt's as I have no access to the back side, any idea's, just worried that if I hang up it will rip the rigger off with just screws

Tony

Perhaps if you could post a picture of the gunwale it would help people get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Sent from my HTC

So I was thinking. If you don't mind drilling through your hull just a couple pieces of aluminum, bend them into saddle shapes to fit around the gunwale, drill through and bolt them to th hull. Attach scotty mounts to the aluminum.

Sent from my HTC

Post a pic, there are many ways to do this.

That is how mine are done. I like it because easy to remove and when they are off the boat there is nothing on the top of the gunnel's to get snagged up on.

X2 what RS says... also just 2 thumb screws to take the works off

Thanks for the kudos shepnoir!!!!!
Nothing snags on mine as my rain drop is custom fit to go around the brackets and being more foreward all i have to do is swival them towards the bow when the fish is on. which frees up the whole back for the client to reel the fish to me with out a downrigger in the way works great for sooke fishing.
And I can tell you one thing you could probablly lift my boat up from one of them there are so solid. If you want to see them pm me for a look

Wolf

Roy, what I meant is that when I take the riggers off the boat and use it for cruising with the family there is nothing left on the top of the gunnel for them to get snagged on.

No prob rollie i didnt take offence at it at all. just stating where mine are they dont get snagged. dont worry be happy LOL

Wolf

Good morning all, thank-you for your ideas, I am going to the boat (1988 bayliner trophy hard top) on Sat and will take some measurements and pix. There is some wood that runs along the side and it flexes real bad when I put the downrigger on it and sure as night and day it is gunna break and by by rigger.

Tony

Good morning all, thank-you for your ideas, I am going to the boat (1988 bayliner trophy hard top) on Sat and will take some measurements and pix. There is some wood that runs along the side and it flexes real bad when I put the downrigger on it and sure as night and day it is gunna break and by by rigger.

Tony
Aaaah... YEP!

It isn’tstrong enough, without reinforcing! FYI..If there is an aluminum cap on the gunnels, it isn’t strong enough to hold downriggers, either! Been there done that, also!

Might something like this work? I saw this picture a few years back and saved it for reference.

CoolDownriggerBrackets.jpg

Back