Mounting a 4th Downrigger?

On my boat it is all about turns and when you are up it doesn't matter which of the 3 riggers goes off.
with you on that it only makes it fair
when i just fish me and a buddie its one a side and each to his own rod.
guests or clients get to share and take a turn

shucks i was even thinking running a set of stabilizers poles with paravanes and then fitting them out with adapted down riggers using 9'- 12' poles

but having the paravanes in the water sort of puts me off but the ride ..........

talking to most trollers who have them, say they make a world of difference

I had 4 manual downriggers on my 24' aluminum, looked like a grady, when I ran charters out of vancouver for years. It worked great when i did use them which was mostly for sockeye. you can stack dummies on one and just leave it down all the time. hardly ever used all 4 when fishing springs or coho. I'll try and get a pick of my setup on here but basically 2 straight out the back and 2 long arms str8 out the sides, I had twins and no kicker plus a 10' beam so it was relatively easy to set up. I always did the alternating fish thing unless i had competition going with a buddy.
24' alum  cockpit.jpg24' alum boat.jpg

cheers nicnat

nice rig ......Nicnat
do you still have her?
and looks like horseshoe bay with north shore mountains in the background

wish i still had it, sold it years ago, they only made 2 of them, the other was built for the haidas for a patrol boat in the charlottes, and yes I chartered out of sewells horseshoe bay.

well see if you remember this its still in the family
leif did have four riggers on it but mostly ran 3
and one of mine with the 3 60's out the back

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 261
  • leif2boat.jpg
    leif2boat.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Leif 006.jpg
    Leif 006.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 260
Many of my customers would move on to another guide if I didn't clear the gear, kick the boat out of gear and let them enjoy playing the fish..not the boat. The argument of 1 rigger per person is not relevant. Are you going to tell a client or buddy that this is your rod/rigger and if it happens to touch nothing all day....(which happens all the time...one rod is hot) that person goes home without touching a rod? On my boat it is all about turns and when you are up it doesn't matter which of the 3 riggers goes off.

Who said anything about not rotating bites and putting one person on a specific rod?

Depends on the situation.

Pull the trolling valve out and move at .5 knots...enough to keep the gear tracking when you're tied into a larger Chinook. Move rods out of the way when it's time to land or clear one side/corner of the gear for landing. meanwhile, there are 3-4 rods still fishing and you're hooking into a double or triple about about to hook another .

sox, pinks, medium sized chums and cohoes towing flashers offer little in the way of sport---likewise a 10-14 pound Chinook. Also, if you have 5-9 clients on board and you have just a few hours to get everyone to as many fish as you can, you better be on the ball and converting on strikes when you need to.

wow , been a while since ive seen this boat , the good ol days ,
dave, mark , bill , wayne , scott , ken ,
a lot of great memories of the bay days
nice seein ya the other day Tom

fd

I had 4 manual downriggers on my 24' aluminum, looked like a grady, when I ran charters out of vancouver for years. It worked great when i did use them which was mostly for sockeye. you can stack dummies on one and just leave it down all the time. hardly ever used all 4 when fishing springs or coho. I'll try and get a pick of my setup on here but basically 2 straight out the back and 2 long arms str8 out the sides, I had twins and no kicker plus a 10' beam so it was relatively easy to set up. I always did the alternating fish thing unless i had competition going with a buddy.
View attachment 15792View attachment 15793

cheers nicnat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back