Motors to avoid. And why?

Mine was the original compressor but it infact did blow at 729 hours after 20 years. Bearings are tight but the rings melted from trolling I fish a lot so the low idle speed the compressor doesnt get enough oil feed. 200:1 and a fraction of that. So do not troll on these motors.
I trolled on them for 16 years

Yamaha F350 would be on my blacklist too. Known flywheel problems. Yamaha will replace every 100 hrs, but too much hassle for me to be worrying about and dealing with.

And yes, dry corrosion of the exhaust on the early 2000’s F225 is a well known issue. Also affected same era F250 and the replacement kit is more like $1,500 (as of a couple years ago). And that doesn’t include haul out or labour. Ask me how I know…

Last edited:
I trolled on them for 16 years
I have the original compressor here the only thing I could tell was the rings of the compressor melted. About 200 hours trolling since I got it. Ill tear it down and find out but I couldnt risk putting this thing back in. Had to get a new compressor at a tune of $1600cdn. If I got it from the US would of been maybe 1300-1400 cnd.

I have the original compressor here the only thing I could tell was the rings of the compressor melted. About 200 hours trolling since I got it. Ill tear it down and find out but I couldnt risk putting this thing back in. Had to get a new compressor at a tune of $1600cdn. If I got it from the US would of been maybe 1300-1400 cnd.
Yeah not cheap. I always traded them in when the warranty was up. Glad I got the 4 strokes now

I now have a 2012 DF250 Suzuki that I bought last year with 180 hours on it. I had Yamaha’s for 25 years and decided to buy the Suzuki for my project Seafarer due to the cost being 1/3 of a new one, so far very happy with it. I do all my own maintenance that I can but I have 2 dealerships within 45 minutes north and south of me if I need parts or other work done. I left the 2 stroke world in 2009 with my Campion and would never go back to the smoke and smell, my 2 cents.

I have an 04 Yamaha 115 4 stroke it’s definitely required some maintenance like anything else but it’s pushing 2300hours now and still runs smooth I will be re powering this winter as it’s getting older though. Merc, Yamaha, and suzuki is the most common at every dock you can’t really go wrong with any of the modern 4 strokes their all about the same reliability wise nowadays.

We have a f225 2003 year.
We had our mechanic replace the middle exhaust parts on the motor in 2015. It had only done about 380 hours but was showing some corrosion so we did it as a precaution. Cost $2o00. Yamaha was selling the kit at cost? Approx $1000 from memory
still going good and have 900 hours on it now.
My 2003 F225 had the exhaust kit installed in 2014. It rusted thru in 2019. In my case it was in the block right next to the thermostat. Had 750 hours.

That would seriously grind my gears. I almost bit I would of thought yamaha would of had it figured out by then. The earlier optimax around 99 had a different manufacturer for the injectors and was found the pintle of the direct injector could eject into the cylinder and take it out. As well on the bigger 200hp and above the fuel injectors were out of spec and had a narrow range from running ok to being lean and burn cylinder. Typically #6 cylinder can wipe out on you if you dont let the engine warm up due to the location of the cylinder as well.

I was out trolling with my girlfriend all was well and then a got a beep. I check the motor ok no unusual noise spin the compressor turns. Engine in limp mode but no overheat alarm. Well im tripping big time and I had one toke of bc bud. I tripped for like 7 hours straight. No smartcraft nothing so you could imagine. I limped back on the kicker. Needless to say I installed the bluetooth smartcraft and will never leave port without a warning system with fault indication.

Rather than say what to avoid I will tell you the motor worth getting...Yamaha 150...I think it is their flagship engine in their lineup. I know guys who have thousands of trouble free hours on them. Most of these are set up as twins with a kicker...installed on Grady White charter boats.

My 2002 f225 has dry exhaust problems, 650hrs runs really good but peeps like its got a bad prostate at low rpm, waiting for it to pack it in someday then will repower ,not worth the dough to put the kit in ,think it was about $2500 last time I checked. I would stay away from this motor

Many people say to avoid Ficht injection OMC motors. While I wouldn't go actively looking for one, if a good deal presented itself I wouldn't automatically pass either. If it's still running well twenty years on, it'll be fine. The notorious powerhead failures happened in the first year or two.

My 2002 f225 has dry exhaust problems, 650hrs runs really good but peeps like its got a bad prostate at low rpm, waiting for it to pack it in someday then will repower ,not worth the dough to put the kit in ,think it was about $2500 last time I checked. I would stay away from this motor
650 hrs..hardly broken in...what else you going to buy for $2500.00? If you know the powerhead, gearcase and trim are sound doing the repair is the cheapest solution.

Yamaha F350 would be on my blacklist too. Known flywheel problems. Yamaha will replace every 100 hrs, but too much hassle for me to be worrying about and dealing with.

And yes, dry corrosion of the exhaust on the early 2000’s F225 is a well known issue. Also affected same era F250 and the replacement kit is more like $1,500 (as of a couple years ago). And that doesn’t include hall out or labour. Ask me how I know…
For the F350 it’s 100 hrs in a very narrow rpm band, you can conceiviably go 500 + hours before before the flywheel needs changing, and Yamaha will do it for free for the life of the engine.

For the F350 it’s 100 hrs in a very narrow rpm band, you can conceiviably go 500 + hours before before the flywheel needs changing, and Yamaha will do it for free for the life of the engine.

Every 100 hrs between 3,400 - 4,250 rpm, which is not that narrow of a band, especially since in my experience that is where most higher HP motors like to run for optimal cruise efficiency. I would be replacing at least once, maybe twice a year. And all great that Yamaha will do it for free, but that wouldn’t do me any good if I’m in the middle of a trip to WCVI or Central Coast and there is no Yamaha dealer around.

For some people the motors might be great, but a hard pass for me. Especially since Yamaha discontinued the motors - which says a lot right there.

Every 100 hrs between 3,400 - 4,250 rpm, which is not that narrow of a band, especially since in my experience that is where most higher HP motors like to run for optimal cruise efficiency. I would be replacing at least once, maybe twice a year. And all great that Yamaha will do it for free, but that wouldn’t do me any good if I’m in the middle of a trip to WCVI or Central Coast and there is no Yamaha dealer around.

For some people the motors might be great, but a hard pass for me. Especially since Yamaha discontinued the motors - which says a lot right there.
What exactly is the problem with the flywheel is it due to stresses?

650 hrs..hardly broken in...what else you going to buy for $2500.00? If you know the powerhead, gearcase and trim are sound doing the repair is the cheapest solution.
have heard that most of the motors with dry exhaust problem start to quit at 650 hrs???

have heard that most of the motors with dry exhaust problem start to quit at 650 hrs???
Yes exactly so fixing it is still way cheaper than buying something else....the powerhead should still have many years of service life left.

Yes exactly so fixing it is still way cheaper than buying something else....the powerhead should still have many years of service life left.
Make you a deal I will get the kit put in , but if the engine quits you pay for the rebuild, deal??? No you might be right,have waffled on this forever, should have done 5yrs ago but the mechanic said don't troll with it , don't leave it in the water too long without flushing it and you should be good.

Many people say to avoid Ficht injection OMC motors. While I wouldn't go actively looking for one, if a good deal presented itself I wouldn't automatically pass either. If it's still running well twenty years on, it'll be fine. The notorious powerhead failures happened in the first year or two.
I have a 2000 evinrude ficht 150 v6 2 stroke. Been running it for 4 seasons now and it hasn't had a problem. Knock on wood. Gets virtually the same mileage as my friends yamaha 150 4 stroke and way more snap. New plugs every other season and good to go.

Back