Mosquito creek marina

Could someone please tell me the difference between boat sheds and float homes? News articles are using those two terms, saying people live in them. To me, a boat shed is not a dwelling for living in; it's a structure that covers a boat that's moored between two float fingers. It has two side walls and a tin roof, with each wall resting on a finger.

Could someone please tell me the difference between boat sheds and float homes? News articles are using those two terms, saying people live in them. To me, a boat shed is not a dwelling for living in; it's a structure that covers a boat that's moored between two float fingers. It has two side walls and a tin roof, with each wall resting on a finger.
Some boathouses have a loft, kitchen, bathroom -- even an apartment. Halfway to "float homes".

The problem is there’s no space now in Vancouver for boat moorage. This is gonna mean a flood of people looking for space. Lions Gate now Mosquito. It’s a big problem for boat owners who moor. Less space means prices will escalate. Last new Marina built in the lower mainland was Milltown 10 years ago. Just watch, marinas are a prize commodity globally. They’re gonna jack the **** outta prices.

If it helps any, and I'm not sure how many slips are actually available but captains cove is dumping I've heard upwards of 20 million in dredging and putting new docks in as we speak. Full clam bucket Barge out dredging. So it will be good for another few years 😆

They should have alot of slips available because most of them were unusable and people left.

The problem is there’s no space now in Vancouver for boat moorage. This is gonna mean a flood of people looking for space. Lions Gate now Mosquito. It’s a big problem for boat owners who moor. Less space means prices will escalate. Last new Marina built in the lower mainland was Milltown 10 years ago. Just watch, marinas are a prize commodity globally. They’re gonna jack the **** outta prices.
What happened with Lions Gate?

Well lions gate wasn't exactly a moorable marina as well all know. It was dry land storage and work yard. They booted all the dryland storage in another business avenue.

LGM was dryland with indoor optional, I kept my boat there for 5 years. It was great for the first 4 then new owners with a view to redevelopment stepped in after rmckeen sold out. The redevelopment plans did not advance as the local municipal council wouldn't entertain their plans.

Storage continued until last spring when they shifted to work yard only, and much of the other acreage is now a parking lot for aeaspan employees.

For the first 3 or 4 years I was at lgm, it was awesome. Great staff and they were always ready to splash the boat without any advance notice. The shift occurred midst covid and I moved the boat elsewhere.

When we were building 2 years ago I spent a lot of time looking for moorage and put down deposits at a few places.

We got a space at Reed Point when one of the staff told me that a fellow with a 21 foot boat had just taken a 54 foot covered slip. I asked how that helped and was told that people with existing slips got preference when spots came up (makes sense)

We ended up renting an empty covered 47 foot slip for 8 months until a covered 36 came up just a few months before our boat was finished

People are hurrying to join up some of the smaller yacht clubs to get on a moorage wait list. Our boat is ineligible for Burrard - see regs

Membership regs

Vessels mooring and using BYC club facilities must have a dedicated galley, enclosed and dedicated sleeping quarters, permanently installed toilet and holding tank.

Important note :Burrard has title for their land.

When we were building 2 years ago I spent a lot of time looking for moorage and put down deposits at a few places.

We got a space at Reed Point when one of the staff told me that a fellow with a 21 foot boat had just taken a 54 foot covered slip. I asked how that helped and was told that people with existing slips got preference when spots came up (makes sense)

We ended up renting an empty covered 47 foot slip for 8 months until a covered 36 came up just a few months before our boat was finished

People are hurrying to join up some of the smaller yacht clubs to get on a moorage wait list. Our boat is ineligible for Burrard - see regs

Membership regs

Vessels mooring and using BYC club facilities must have a dedicated galley, enclosed and dedicated sleeping quarters, permanently installed toilet and holding tank.

They really need to change the names. He's talking about Burrard Civic Marina in Kits. Not the Burrard Yacht Club in North Van.

Membership regs

Approximately 5 year wait for moorage at byc for new members...

Back