More elk lake accidents

Eroyd if your floating line is getting run over your too close and/or not paying attention! When the rowers are coming get out of the way don't expect them to see your line 30ft away and steer around you they could be future olympic athletes and they are training to row in a straight line not zig zag through obstacles. Share the water or move to a different lake fishermen have that option but rowers do not. Your example of stopping for traffic on a run is a great one. You learned on the road to keep out of a cars way now learn on the lake to keep out if the rowers way and you won't have a problem.

Who's not paying attention? They are 100% in the wrong if they hit a stationary object.

I was no where near marked lanes and in a belly boat. In the harbour where they crossed my line, I was standing in ankle deep water with plenty off space for 1/2 dozen boats to pass in front without being anywhere near me. A simple apology or even acknowledgement would have been appreciated. The attitude seems to be a that everyone else should give, adjusting their actions to accommodate rowers. The rowers do nil, cus' after all they may be future olympic athletes. :rolleyes:

eroyd where was the incident? You mentioned a harbor, of which there are none in elk lake. If they hit your line they probably didn't even notice. Rowing shells cannot travel in shallow water due to a fin and in some boats a rudder. How close did they actually come to you?

Not accusing you of exaggerating but it would be nice to know where and how this happened exactly. That way if I am ever bowing a boat that gets into a similar situation I can take measures to avoid hitting you or your line.

eroyd where was the incident? You mentioned a harbor, of which there are none in elk lake. If they hit your line they probably didn't even notice. Rowing shells cannot travel in shallow water due to a fin and in some boats a rudder. How close did they actually come to you?

Not accusing you of exaggerating but it would be nice to know where and how this happened exactly. That way if I am ever bowing a boat that gets into a similar situation I can take measures to avoid hitting you or your line.

Sorry for the confusion. Two incidents. Near collision while I was in my belly boat was between Elk Beaver. Other one was in the Gorge waterway while I was wading for cutties. Perhaps not the same club but likely some familiar individuals.

I know two national teamers. Without taking sides, it would be great if they can continue to prepare for major competitions, while scraping by on minimal sponsorships and federal carding money in an ice free setting. Both sides need to be cautious. Despite the spandex pants, no fisherman I know would do well in a confrontation with these guys. All they do is train hard and eat. Play safe everyone.

Love your description of rowers tubber! It is quite accurate.

The Gorge Rowing and Paddling Club no longer exists. I was a rower there until they cut out rowing and sold the rowing facilities to SMUS. There will still be rowers there but they are now under a school name. There will still be dragonboats. As for the incident, you must admit that the gorge is not exactly the most open water in the area. There isn't much we could do in that regard. If you want to fish that area without incident go now. The clubhouse is under renovation and I don't think any shells are going on the water for a few months at least.

As for elk lake...I have done all I can really. The flow pattern is very consistent there. As long as you understand where we are going to be you can avoid us. The only thing that could really cause a problem is near the island as there is a bit of a blind corner. When we are in eights the coxswain can't see around it and our coach recently instructed the bow (me!) of each eight to take a quick look before going around it. Since I am bow of the fastest eight (for now at least) that means in that I have to watch out for any other rowers or fishermen. Since I am in the fastest eight that means I will be first around that corner in most circumstances. If it makes you feel better I do make sure there is no-one in our way, which should keep most problems in that area down.

Glad you take a look over your shoulder. Where are the safety boats? I thought they were a requirement being that you aren't wearing PFDs. That water is cold. I remember the tragedy of January 1988. Please be safe.

As for the Gorge. With all the traffic in there, especially Selkirk area, I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents. A summers evening can be quite entertaining.

Back