Moorage for prawns in the inlet -- getting desperate

Ghostprof

My son and I have prawned in April for the last few years, trailering in the early days with a smaller boat and then mooring one year at Goldstream and the next at Brentwood. This year, though, it's all wait lists. Anyone got any bright ideas about spots to moor up for even just 10 days to get some prawning in? Anyone got a slip or dock they are interested in renting out? Thanks in advance.

My son and I have prawned in April for the last few years, trailering in the early days with a smaller boat and then mooring one year at Goldstream and the next at Brentwood. This year, though, it's all wait lists. Anyone got any bright ideas about spots to moor up for even just 10 days to get some prawning in? Anyone got a slip or dock they are interested in renting out? Thanks in advance.
Try Anchorage Marina, ask for weekly rate. No ramp though. Or stay at the Brentwood, nice slips there!

Spots fill up fast, I have been mooring for April at the same slip in Brentwood for over 7 years and a different spot before that. I think most return guys have spots held for them annually

Update: we got a slip at Goldstream Boathouse. It's a bit of a schlep to the prawning, but better than trailering to the Tsartlip ramp (if it's even open). Thanks for the tips, everyone!

On the topic of prawning, does anyone know the current status of the Tsartlip ramp? As in open or closed? Thanks

The Last time I launched there a few years back they broke into my vehicle. Rummaged through
everything and took a pair of binoculars. Don't leave anything in your vehicle

On the concept of the Prawn Opening in Saanich Inlet on April 1st , has anyone actually seen the opening official announced, or what time on the first it is actually open.

On the concept of the Prawn Opening in Saanich Inlet on April 1st , has anyone actually seen the opening official announced, or what time on the first it is actually open.

Announcement should be out in the next day or so.

You can start prawning midnight of the 31st

Thought I would throw this warning out for anyone looking for moorage. Got a months moorage at Deep Cove in North Saanich. Worst experience of my boating life. Lol. very Close to Wain Rock which was what I wanted, but everything else about it was awful. I wouldn't go back.

Thought I would throw this warning out for anyone looking for moorage. Got a months moorage at Deep Cove in North Saanich. Worst experience of my boating life. Lol. very Close to Wain Rock which was what I wanted, but everything else about it was awful. I wouldn't go back.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Is the dock in bad shape, or was it more of a services issue?

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Is the dock in bad shape, or was it more of a services issue?
A bit of both. The approaches are pretty shaky with lots of rock both marked and unmarked on charts. Very exposed to the wind on the outer fingers. During the recent winds it was bashing the crap out of the boat, it’s pretty exposed, might be better in the summer. All that aside the owner/ manager is difficult to deal with if you can even get a hold of him. If he was smart he could pick up some good off season business, but appears disinterested. Happy to leave there, should have read the reviews

What was the marina name, or was it someones private dock?

Deep Cove Marina.
Sorry about your experience. We were at Angler's Anchorage for the firs time and it was great. We've been at Goldstream and Brentwood, and both were good too, so maybe we've just been lucky so far.

Back