Mooching gear in fresh water

jack fish

After trolling streamers on a fly rod a bit last season and a BC salmon charter with Kelly this spring. I got the itch for some sporty gear too run on the down riggers for lake trout fishing. So a buddy gave me a old Daiwa 275 reel and I bought a Shimano 4000. Put the Daiwa on a cheap f glass trolling rod spooled with 30 pound mono. And the 4000 on a trophy custom light line with 15 pound braid and mono top shot. It's wicked fun that old Daiwa screams when a laker runs for the bottom I don't mind the tiny little 2 way drag at all just palm it like the guys on big coast tv. Lol. And catching lake trout on 15 pound test line takes a little finesse way more fun then the old fish winch. So for any of you inlanders looking too spice up your trout fishing I say ditch the level winds and spinners go single action !
0a6ed1eb78e0da7ecc6cb485406a83bd.jpg
e271d75cde938b55f2d0a65801052ddc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
mooching center pin reels and 10'5 to 11' rods are the only way to fish, thats all I fish with in the okanagan. I hate bait casting setups with a passion!!! lol

I had a 5wt fly rod made into a Kokanee mooching rod paired it with a g Loomis venture 7 fly reel. Love it, going to make another this winter.

Been running mooching gear in fresh water for lakers for about 8 years now. Well started with my mooching gear I found it a little to heavy. Now I run 8'6 Med action Fennwick HMR's equipped with Abu, Garcia, Ambassadeur, Striper Specials. They are a lot lighter and give way better action. I also regularly run my 9 weight fly rod rigged with 15# Maxim Ultra Green on the other side. This reel has a one way drag system like a small moocher.. This is a blast to nail a 15# laker on at 150' lol. Nothing but good times.

On my fly rod I run a dummy flasher off the cannon ball on this I run a large Ford Fender willow leaf for extra flash and on the line I run various salt water spoons,, they love the coyote's. So it's nothing but you and fish for the battle. On my other rods I will run a basic Anchovie set up with 4' leaders only difference than my salmon set up is I run 6" flashers rather than the large flasher,, again less resistance in the water gives extra play time on the rod..

image.jpg1_zpszrwatq9r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back