Mono Leaders Vs Florocarbon Leaders

had to many bad experience with 40lb maximum for anchovies riggs, switched to 40lb floro and the problem was solved. use 40lb mono as mainline and never had an issue with it.

interesting to hear about the the snapping of floro never had that happen.

had to many bad experience with 40lb maximum for anchovies riggs, switched to 40lb floro and the problem was solved. use 40lb mono as mainline and never had an issue with it.

interesting to hear about the the snapping of floro never had that happen.
😭 fresh lubed 40lbs blue label sandheads sob story

Attachments

• 884BE846-643B-4829-BDE2-9DCE01A54179.jpeg
    884BE846-643B-4829-BDE2-9DCE01A54179.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 81
Funny how everyone thinks fluoro is so great. The 2 things it has is skinnier diameter for the lb rating, and ability to be invisible. However it's brittle and has no stretch. One tiny little knick in the line and it will just snap. It is really bad memory retention also.

Last edited:
Funny how everyone thinks fluoro is so great. The 2 things it has is skinnier diameter for the lb rating, and ability to be invisible. However it's brittle and has no stretch. One tiny little knick in the line and it will just snap. It has really bad memory retention also.

I agree. I was floored this summer how easy it was to break that stuff (Suffix 30 lb test) .....I lost some really nice springs (and my gear)....I went back to Maxima ULtra Green and Berkeley (ultra cheap) mono—-problem solved...fishing was so good it would have been silly to try and make the case that “invisible” Fluoro would somehow have made the fishing better

I’m also a steelhead fisherman. Yes, I’ll concede that Fluoro has its place when the river is low and clear....then I go out of my way to get fussy with the knots and do the max knot test to make sure they’re sound and I won’t break off fish.

But in the salt, running a boat alone around other boats....no patience to get fussy with knots. Cue the mono line.

I use it for its abrasion resistance for fish sawing off, It works well for me. I dont tie knots on the boat, just use clips. Use whatever works best for yourself, just got tired of losing fish with mono on anchovies rigs and switching to fluoro seemed to make all the difference.

I agree. I was floored this summer how easy it was to break that stuff (Suffix 30 lb test) .....I lost some really nice springs (and my gear)....I went back to Maxima ULtra Green and Berkeley (ultra cheap) mono—-problem solved...fishing was so good it would have been silly to try and make the case that “invisible” Fluoro would somehow have made the fishing better

I’m also a steelhead fisherman. Yes, I’ll concede that Fluoro has its place when the river is low and clear....then I go out of my way to get fussy with the knots and do the max knot test to make sure they’re sound and I won’t break off fish.

But in the salt, running a boat alone around other boats....no patience to get fussy with knots. Cue the mono line.

x2.... mono ultra green is all thats needed ,trusted for 20 years now.. i find zero difference in hook-ups ,less break-offs for sure.. guys over thinkin it imo... i ran Seaguar Flora for a few years , still do in gin clear water in the winter , great line , but just not needed... different story in the blue water for sure.... tight lines...

I’ve been tying my bait rigs with braided line to the stinger hook for a number of years after breaking off numerous stinger hooks. The stinger always seemed to break in the net after landing fish and I was constantly swapping leaders. This methods is more durable for me and gets the gear back in the water quicker and gives me a bit more confidence, specially when I was guiding and using bait of both sides. I like to tie the stinger long and then adjust the length of the stinger by wrapping the braid around the top hook as needed. I’ve also been using floro leaders for a while with no issues, but with the price for it these days I may give mono another try. 9ED23EAC-1C9B-4670-98BD-78D52A0C89CB.jpegF3239CCF-3764-49EB-98FF-901E1445489D.jpeg

I’ve been tying my bait rigs with braided line to the stinger hook for a number of years after breaking off numerous stinger hooks. The stinger always seemed to break in the net after landing fish and I was constantly swapping leaders. This methods is more durable for me and gets the gear back in the water quicker and gives me a bit more confidence, specially when I was guiding and using bait of both sides. I like to tie the stinger long and then adjust the length of the stinger by wrapping the braid around the top hook as needed. I’ve also been using floro leaders for a while with no issues, but with the price for it these days I may give mono another try. View attachment 85440View attachment 85441
interesting to see the braid can wrap around the treble to shorten or lengthen the stinger.... but i thought braid had the worst abrasion resistance out of mono and fluro...

interesting to see the braid can wrap around the treble to shorten or lengthen the stinger.... but i thought braid had the worst abrasion resistance out of mono and fluro...
I use braid from my Hali reels which is usually 80 or 100lb test and I find the abrasion reactance at that pound test to be good.

Like I said use what works best, based on your experience and preferences.

I had a bad experiences with 40 pound mono and made the switch and it worked for me.

Find it interesting that people have the opposite experience

That video is very convincing but I don’t think I’ll change back lol

I went 60 lb mono for august fishing. Use whatever for winter fishing. The 60 works pretty well for ling cod fishing also. Buy huge big cheap rolls of 60 whatever is on sale. Usually a 1000 yards last us about a year lol

I went 60 lb mono for august fishing. Use whatever for winter fishing. The 60 works pretty well for ling cod fishing also. Buy huge big cheap rolls of 60 whatever is on sale. Usually a 1000 yards last us about a year lol
What knot works well with that test of line?

These fish are NOT leader shy.

I used to run 80 pound mono tails when commercial trolling, and we caught huge numbers.
Also ran 40 lb mono leaders when sport fishing.

I have a dislike for flouro, and simply won't use it in the chuck.
Ever.

Nog

Especially when you can spend 40 bucks on a roll that last a year when you fish 12 months a year.

Like I said use what works best, based on your experience and preferences.

I had a bad experiences with 40 pound mono and made the switch and it worked for me.

Find it interesting that people have the opposite experience

That video is very convincing but I don’t think I’ll change back lol

MONO FOR THE WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just like alot of gear out there if its expensive doesn't mean its better, commercial guys for YEARS have used mono and they fish harder then any of us ever will

AMEN !!!! 🤣

Back