Modified Hitch for a Mercedes Diesel SUV?

wet spot

Recently sold my Toyota 4Runner V8 as the mileage was getting pretty high - bought a used Mercedes ML 350 diesel. The Mercedes is rated to tow 7200lbs but only comes with a 3500/350 lbs hitch and its enough for my 17' boat but am thinking of getting a travel trailer. Most of the hitch manufacturers will only supply the 3500/350 weight hitches and the Curt hitch isn't even rated for using a load-leveling set-up. The diesel ML 350 is different than the gas model in that it has a blue DEF fluid reservoir located about where the spare tire would be so the gas model hitch won't fit the diesel model.

Does anyone know a hitch shop that can modify/make a hitch for up to 7000lbs? I haven't found anyone in the Lower Mainland. I know there is a place in California and also at CAN-AM Rv in Ontario that modifies hitches for Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen and BMW diesel SUVs but I'm looking for someone closer to home.

Try Hitch Stars on Hastings in Burnaby, I don't know if they can modify hitches but they were able to get me a 5000lb version for my ML320, nice guys to deal with...

My friend had a diesel ml 350 and tows his 27 foot cougar travel trailer regularly. He uses a equalizer hits.

Well its a long story but the good news is that Hitch Stars in Burnaby was able to do it....tried every after-market hitch brands and many hitch shops...nada. Even the after-market hitch sold by Mercedes Parts dept. was only 4000/400 with a WDH. I recalled reading in the Airstream forum that someone had a factory-installed hitch in the same vehicle as mine and it was rated for 7200/720 so I asked Hitch Stars to look into it. Hitch Stars called 3 different Mercedes dealerships before they finally found someone that knew about the factory hitch and the part No.s etc. The hitch is very expensive because its Mercedes and because it does't just attach onto the bumper frame it actually replaces the bumper and is attached onto the main frame of the vehicle...very heavy duty and lots of work to install but still over $1000 cheaper having Hitch Stars do it.

The Hitch Star guys put a lot of up front work into trying different hitches and researching this and they did a good job. Would not hesitate to recommend them based on my experience.

Terry

Back