Mobile home axles

goddan

Hi, I have a homebuilt boat trailer with mobile home axles and was wondering if I can convert to standard ones so buying tires wont be an issue. Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks

princess auto has a good supply of
parts depending on load limit

Could you just use a good light truck tire with the mobile home axles? I'm not sure, but I would think mobile home axles would be pretty heavy duty to be able to support a mobile home. Myself, I'd think twice about replacing them but to be honest I've never used them. But I always have thought that a light truck tire is better than a trailer tire. It's what my trailer for my 30' boat came with when I purchased it and it's perfectly legal. Go to a load range E and a less aggressive tread pattern that looks like it would be good for mileage if considering light truck tires.. My trailer uses Kelly Safari CSR tires in load range E but they're hard to find now. A very similar looking tread to motor-home or tractor trailer tires, just in a smaller profile. Have worked well for me.

stay away from the nylon bias ply
tires for a few reasons being lower
load rating....lower speed rating and
less tread contact to the road surface.
steel belted radials will also outlast

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I've found a conversion kit for the hubs which will allow me to use regular tires and rims instead of the spider rim and bias tires

PLEASE change out those Axles!!! Mobile Home Axles are not rated / engineered for long term use. They are relatively cheap as they are meant to get the Mobile Home to site, and typically that is all. If these are the old style, they may even have spray painted on the tube something to the effect not for regular highway use.

I have seen these axles with the spider style flanges and they are a low speed axle at best. I had a car carrier trailer with these axles under it, and the trailer shop set me straight about the failings of a flange style hub set out.

For about 1500 a lot of shops will put a tandem 35oo pd set in with brakes on all 4 tires, re sprung, and aligned. If you really love the trailer that much, this could be a reasonable option. Better yet, upgrade to a new trailer if you can afford it.

Drewski

Back