Mitchell 300 Reel, from the 1960’s. - SOLD

pacemaker

Hi, I have a Mitchell 300 spinning reel dating back to the 1960’s. It is still in the original box, and even has both original spools, one with a capacity of about 100 yards, and the other one with a 200 yard capacity. The box is in decent shape, while the reel and spare spool is in extremely good shape. These were the classic spinning reels back in the day, made in France. $SOLD picked up in Campbell River. It’s been in the family since it was bought brand new. Hasn’t been fished for many years. Works and looks perfect.

Attachments

• C583F51F-9B59-4DA9-A814-4489B68D4B7A.jpeg
    C583F51F-9B59-4DA9-A814-4489B68D4B7A.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 39
  • E36CCB25-738E-4260-9748-946F8EFDCF05.jpeg
    E36CCB25-738E-4260-9748-946F8EFDCF05.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 0BCF8B02-5598-41C0-AFC1-200E54D1022D.jpeg
    0BCF8B02-5598-41C0-AFC1-200E54D1022D.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 24C7C9E7-8A37-48C5-A62E-7BDDC5B3F25E.jpeg
    24C7C9E7-8A37-48C5-A62E-7BDDC5B3F25E.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi, I have a Mitchell 300 spinning reel dating back to the 1960’s. It is still in the original box, and even has both original spools, one with a capacity of about 100 yards, and the other one with a 200 yard capacity. The box is in decent shape, while the reel and spare spool is in extremely good shape. These were the classic spinning reels back in the day, made in France. $40 picked up in Campbell River. It’s been in the family since it was bought brand new. Hasn’t been fished for many years. Works and looks perfect.
Not just a classic but built to last. I put thousands of hours on the Mitchell 300 as a kid and it just kept working.

How are they in the salt? i have a new old stock one i’m thinking of using as a salmon jigger? of course wash down after use yada yada but just wondering how it holds up

Seemed good if cared for as mentioned, that was the attraction for us back then with older Dam Quick models with 2 spools . Spinning in the chuck with 15lb test spool, pop it off and an hour later the river ( good place to flush the gear) with the 8lb test spool.:)

How are they in the salt? i have a new old stock one i’m thinking of using as a salmon jigger? of course wash down after use yada yada but just wondering how it holds up
I have been fishing the Mitchell 301’s (right hand crank) since the mid 60’s. When I lived in Alberta in the ‘70’s and used to come out to Campbell River to bucktail for coho in September each year, I used my 301’s and basic trout rod for the coho. That was sure lots of fun!! Always flushed them out afterwards tho, and I still have a couple of them that are going strong. This one that I just sold was originally bought by my Dad, who is now long gone unfortunately. It has been sitting on a shelf, unused, for over 25 years now. My 2 young granddaughters love to fish with us, but both crank with the right hand like their Gramps. So they can’t use the 300 for trout. They use their own good gear. Time to move the old classic 300 to a good home. I’m glad that it’s going where it is. Good luck fishing with it Cliff…. John

I have one from 1962-still works well-I can't believe I'm that old-but I remember getting it at a King discount store somewhere in Mass. USA

Bummer I missed it I have one my dad bought me when I was 12. I'm closing in on 47 now and still use it for walleyes.

Rinse well. The little roller in the bail is softer metal than all the chromed parts and does rust. Easily replaceable if you have spare parts. There is a larger "saltwater " version available.

Rinse well. The little roller in the bail is softer metal than all the chromed parts and does rust. Easily replaceable if you have spare parts. There is a larger "saltwater " version available.
thanks Greg. i have a backup parts reel as well

I have been fishing the Mitchell 301’s (right hand crank) since the mid 60’s. When I lived in Alberta in the ‘70’s and used to come out to Campbell River to bucktail for coho in September each year, I used my 301’s and basic trout rod for the coho. That was sure lots of fun!! Always flushed them out afterwards tho, and I still have a couple of them that are going strong. This one that I just sold was originally bought by my Dad, who is now long gone unfortunately. It has been sitting on a shelf, unused, for over 25 years now. My 2 young granddaughters love to fish with us, but both crank with the right hand like their Gramps. So they can’t use the 300 for trout. They use their own good gear. Time to move the old classic 300 to a good home. I’m glad that it’s going where it is. Good luck fishing with it Cliff…. John
We received the reel in good order as described yesterday she's a beauty! nice feel and sound, appreciate your sending it down to us:) Best Regards

Back