Minister's decision on SFAB Chinook announced

Well for those who didn't pay attention and figure it out last time, when the next election comes they better get it right if they want to fish!
With all due respect, we’re looking at the wrong door again. We don’t get to change the government in Ottawa. Corporate sponsors do that in Ontario and Quebec. Our individual votes in western Canada almost has no impact. Would be smart if our sport fishing “leaders” can put together a more realistic and effective strategy.

Time to start well thought out protests, media campaign and fundraising for a court case - this it total BS!!! Our local coastal communities and businesses cannot withstand this unreasonable assault on the public fishery!

As has been seen.....they do nothing unfortunately.

Not sure if it was a precursor (help the govt back this ruling) to this announcement but did anyone else see on the news earlier this week that J-pod was seen recently looking the healthiest in years. That will squash with the uninformed public any sympathy for protests.

Am I missing something or is there just no mention of Areas 17,18,19 ,and 29 , in this announcement?? Have they just removed us from their vocabulary? Not even worth mentioning... Probably having a private party in Ottawa and having a good laugh at those wimps they conned this Spring on the West Coast. Stall for 6 weeks and then give them nothing. Big joke.

Yeah, disappointing SFI response. Caving. And if you think that a change in the ruling political party will make any difference, give your head a shake. The previous government had no problem screwing us out of fishing opportunities for no good reason and with no remorse. No election will change this trajectory. This needs a deeper change which results in a true appreciation of what the recreational fishery brings and means to this coast. There are many jurisdictions in this world that would kill for the opportunity to build a sport fishery anything near to what we once had here. And Canada lets it die, just like that.

I gave up on the SFAB when industry took over all the coastal chair positions leaving no representation from the average recreational angler in any of the south and north coast meeting seats. I'm a guide and have been what many think of as a commercial operator for 35 years but I started as a weekend warrior and will end up as one when I'm done with guiding. So I have strong feelings about having proper balanced representation for our sector so that all anglers interests are heard and fought for equally. Not just being satisfied with some areas being open so that industry can operate there and make a buck. There are far more votes and therefor political clout with the average anglers so it is important to keep as many of them engaged with fighting the political games and bs going on right now. . It should be apparent to anyone who fishes that DFO is broken and so is the SFAB...it is time to break away from repeating the same efforts that keep producing bad news each spring.. I've heard a rumour that pinks may be off limits this summer!!! Who would have thought we would ever see that!!! it is time to change tactics because we are nearing the bottom of the pit.

With all due respect, we’re looking at the wrong door again. We don’t get to change the government in Ottawa. Corporate sponsors do that in Ontario and Quebec. Our individual votes in western Canada almost has no impact. Would be smart if our sport fishing “leaders” can put together a more realistic and effective strategy.
Raise our own fish in the ocean in pens then release them after two years in the pens

As has been seen.....they do nothing unfortunately.

Not sure if it was a precursor (help the govt back this ruling) to this announcement but did anyone else see on the news earlier this week that J-pod was seen recently looking the healthiest in years. That will squash with the uninformed public any sympathy for protests.
Not true. We need to do what the ENGO's and First Nations and other fishing sectors do to influence govt. The public fishery's lobbying, fundraising, media campaigns and political/economic action have been puny in comparison to other sectors. So small in fact to the other sectors that any direct comparison is ridiculous!

Time for the public fishery to get organized, unified and fired up to really start to push back if we want to see some positive changes. Now is the time for committed individuals to work hard - time to **** or get off the pot! The only thing that guarantees failure/defeat is to give up. Now is the time to fight back harder! As you can tell I am pissed about these BS regs!

I gave up on the SFAB when industry took over all the coastal chair positions leaving no representation from the average recreational angler in any of the south and north coast meeting seats. I'm a guide and have been what many think of as a commercial operator for 35 years but I started as a weekend warrior and will end up as one when I'm done with guiding. So I have strong feelings about having proper balanced representation for our sector so that all anglers interests are heard and fought for equally. Not just being satisfied with some areas being open so that industry can operate there and make a buck. There are far more votes and therefor political clout with the average anglers so it is important to keep as many of them engaged with fighting the political games and bs going on right now. . It should be apparent to anyone who fishes that DFO is broken and so is the SFAB...it is time to break away from repeating the same efforts that keep producing bad news each spring.. I've heard a rumour that pinks may be off limits this summer!!! Who would have thought we would ever see that!!! it is time to change tactics because we are nearing the bottom of the pit.

"When industry took over all the coastal chair positions leaving no representation from the average recreational angler"

Your kidding right?

I played a small part in SFAB and I am not tied to industry at all. In area 17 our representation is mostly made up of anglers not industry. Anglers are fairly represented as with other areas. Your claim that the board is biased/misrepresented holds no weight. In fact it is outright lie.

Even our SFAB Main Board chair is an angler in Area 20 with deep ties to the area. To top it off I believe also your direct chair Ryan C. was in higher level working groups was he not? Seems fairly represented to me. Also you have Chris Bos as co-chair who isn't in industry either?

Anyway your allowed to be mad I am furious right now. But it is not the SFAB fault in anyway or any other organizations around us. Everybody did best they could. The government won't listen, so now we have to regroup and look at different strategy.

Last edited:
The only thing that's going to change this situation is an election and and getting rid of the Trudeau Liberals!
About 2 years back I was told by someone who I knew to have a level perspective on the west inside coast fishery , he felt that "Trudeau will destroy the sport and any commercial fishery on the inside so his pipeline and tanker traffic will have less resistance" . I said he was crazy but to bad it's to late for me now to say to him (no longer with us) Chuck , you could have something there !! .
Not 100% but .....

Jerrod..name CHAIRS that are from the primary user group that represent our coastal areas. Remember the terms of reference for the SFAB were 51% primary, 49 % secondary. (commercial) And anyone with ties to SFI is commercial...and be clear not that I have any beef with SFi as they have their role but they represent industry first. I will always be a weekend warrior first and a guide out of necessity. I look forward to spending days in a small car top beach launched boat again as I did as a kid...by myself passing the hours thinking of nothing but tricking a fish to strike. That is what it is all about.

Last edited:
Sad truth is that almost everyone I know saw this coming
It’s no suprise
It follows the Trudeau governments reconciliation policies...

we all know where this is headed
Civil unrest is about the only option left and probably would get the job done
Rec fisherman /tourism / simply tax payer substance fishery are not even close to a priority for this government
At some point...you just have to say enough is enough

Jerrod..name CHAIRS that are from the primary user group that represent our coastal areas. Remember the terms of reference for the SFAB were 51% primary, 49 % secondary. (commercial) And anyone with ties to SFI is commercial...and be clear not that I have any beef with SFi as they have their role but they represent industry first. I will always be a weekend warrior first and a guide out of necessity. I look forward to spending days in a small car top beach launched boat again as I did as a kid...by myself passing the hours thinking of nothing but tricking a fish to strike. That is what it is all about.
You already went down this road once already Rollie.. I will remind you that it was rejected from all levels including government. As a u sit on SVAIC board whats your problem?? You making this personal? I will remind you that ever single one of us started in a little tin boat and that is where all of our hearts lay..

No i don't think Profisher is kidding he is exactly correct. I commend you for standing uip and speaking the truth !!!!!The REC angler is not properly represented. Try making a change , you will hear stuff like that's the way we have always done it , good luck with the GOV speed changing that that, we cant tell you what goes one in the board room, could go on for ever. Im sorry not trying to single out people involved in that process as i do know how hard they worked but the SFAB has to take some responsibility for this set back , there are people involved that think they know more than everybody else and maybe they do. That was a bare bones proposal with no wiggle room that was firmly rejected. Now what do you do ?? how can you ask for more when they rejected less ?? maybe next year we can still fish but with out hooks. What is our strategy do we even have one ?? i truly wish all sports anglers could come together as one but it was pretty evident that individuals are more worried about telling the world our areas are open then they are about fighting for areas that are closed which has angered many. As hard as it may seem we need changes

No i don't think Profisher is kidding he is exactly correct. I commend you for standing uip and speaking the truth !!!!!The REC angler is not properly represented. Try making a change , you will hear stuff like that's the way we have always done it , good luck with the GOV speed changing that that, we cant tell you what goes one in the board room, could go on for ever. Im sorry not trying to single out people involved in that process as i do know how hard they worked but the SFAB has to take some responsibility for this set back , there are people involved that think they know more than everybody else and maybe they do. That was a bare bones proposal with no wiggle room that was firmly rejected. Now what do you do ?? how can you ask for more when they rejected less ?? maybe next year we can still fish but with out hooks. What is our strategy do we even have one ?? i truly wish all sports anglers could come together as one but it was pretty evident that individuals are more worried about telling the world our areas are open then they are about fighting for areas that are closed which has angered many. As hard as it may seem we need changes

What pile of ********. Area 20 was more than fairly represented.

Pretty bad some of the comments on here.

Try being the solution and listen to the anglers !!! , and not be part of the problem THIS SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING

Try being the solution and listen to the anglers !!! , and not be part of the problem THIS SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING

Great now no one listens. Keep shoveling.

Not sure why you and Rollie got knives out. We are all on same side? Claiming that SFAB is industry led especially by members of SVIAC is really disappointing. Not only that it is insulting as I know the chairs do a great job of representing each area.

Too add why is this being done in public way online> You and Rollie have every right to be upset, but posting statement in public that are not true isn't going to win you any support. Just saying.

Last edited:
You already went down this road once already Rollie.. I will remind you that it was rejected from all levels including government. As a u sit on SVAIC board whats your problem?? You making this personal? I will remind you that ever single one of us started in a little tin boat and that is where all of our hearts lay..

Fully agree

im not trying to single any one out and apologize if i did , what im trying to say is if we don't change and adapt we are doomed. How fair is it to the individuals that spent countless hours on this proposal only to have it crushed after they sat on it for a month and a half . If you read most of the posts no one was surprised this happened. We all need to look in the mirror and ask our selves what we can do better .But defending a process that is hurting us is wrong and not fair to the people involved trying to make a difference.

im not trying to single any one out and apologize if i did , what im trying to say is if we don't change and adapt we are doomed. How fair is it to the individuals that spent countless hours on this proposal only to have it crushed after they sat on it for a month and a half . If you read most of the posts no one was surprised this happened. We all need to look in the mirror and ask our selves what we can do better .But defending a process that is hurting us is wrong and not fair to the people involved trying to make a difference.

I get it your angry. I watched our enhancement event we hosted every year in Area 20 die. Impossible to organize it ever again. Saw many derbies die. Here GV frustrations with net pen. Totally get it. Sooke feels lost, and yes it does sadden me. I spent many years of my summers out there.

As for process. Not defending anything, but it isn't fair to say individuals/chairs made choices that didn't represent regular anglers wishes. It doesn't work that way regardless of outcome.

Moving forward I am sure there will be some changes in strategies. I just think people are in shock right now honestly.

Last edited:
Then Please step up & lead us down the right path.. Your words are empty well u sit behind your key board as a faceless indivual ......

Back