Minismalist tackle supply ... what would be your top 5 of everything???

bweese

I'm new(ish) to BC ... just rigging up my new Lund for the salt chuck.
Work has kept me out of the province for the past year, but I think I'll finally get to spend a spring/summer/fall on local water!!!!!
So my big question for all you experienced guys and girls is ... What would be your picks for the top five flashers, spoons, hootchies, etc.
In other words, if you were going to keep a minimalist tackle selection on board for salmon, what would it consist of?
Fishing in and around Fraser mouth and Vancouver.
Obviously a lot of this game is learning on the job -- heck, that's half the fun! -- but just to start out, what would be the first 5 flashers, hootchies, spoons, etc. that you'd buy?
Thanks in advance for the input.

For me the gold/green flasher and bait or white needle fish hootchie. Also cop car spoon 4 inch

mb glow head pink hootchie, army truck hootchie, bait holders, green spatterback hootchie, no bananas spoon, one each red, green, purple, blue flasher with glow on one side.

Green and glow and purple and glow Hotspot flasher, Kingfisher Kitchen Sink 3.5 spoon, Kingfisher Irish Cream, Kingfisher Cookies and Cream, Kingfisher Homeland Security.

I'm new(ish) to BC ... just rigging up my new Lund for the salt chuck.
Work has kept me out of the province for the past year, but I think I'll finally get to spend a spring/summer/fall on local water!!!!!
So my big question for all you experienced guys and girls is ... What would be your picks for the top five flashers, spoons, hootchies, etc.
In other words, if you were going to keep a minimalist tackle selection on board for salmon, what would it consist of?
Fishing in and around Fraser mouth and Vancouver.
Obviously a lot of this game is learning on the job -- heck, that's half the fun! -- but just to start out, what would be the first 5 flashers, hootchies, spoons, etc. that you'd buy?
Thanks in advance for the input.

Army truck flasher, a couple anchovie teaser heads, splatter back green hootchie and an Irish cream spoon will pretty much cover it for me.

If you're fishing around Vancouver the #1 producer for ages has been a plain White hootchie and it still works as well as anything-ditto the Chartreuse coloured double glo flasher.

After that one of the Black/White spoons.

Old school HotSpot green flasher with the metal sides.

"" "' '' green/glow .

Green splatter back hoochy regular.

Green splatterback needlefish hoochy.

Black top/glow bottom regular hoochy.

3 inch and 3.5 inch spoons.............Irish Crème & CopCar........smaller 3 inch often works well.

Pays to have a 5 and 6 inch Tomic #602 plug on board too.......

This for ECVI.......... west coast of VI is a different story....

Later on in the summer pink lures work well......

Super Gold Betsy flasher seems to make a difference a lot of times......but after much experimentation with flashers I think most of them are designed to catch fishermen.

Rather than buying dozens of different hoochies...I would buy an unrigged 5-pack of the 3 most popular ones ...and....then tie up 5 of each in different leader lengths...say:-

32,36,42, 44, 46 inches......because a lot of times this is all that makes the difference:- the leader length.

(oh...and don't forget the good old plain straight glow regular hoochy......good on darker days and deep)

Real bait ..herring and anchovies......are often killers......if you can escape the Dogfish.......

Last edited by a moderator:
For the vancouver area, green glo flasher, chartreuse glo flasher, a uv flasher maybe purple onion.
Green glo teaser head, chartreuse teaser head, purple haze teaser head,
Irish cream spoon in a couple sizes, kitchen sink spoon, go bananas spoon and cookies and cream
White uv hootchy, white glo hootchy, green glo spatter back blue glo spatter back and maybe a uv hootchy.
A couple packs of pink squirts. This will get you going for vancouver area.

For the vancouver area, green glo flasher, chartreuse glo flasher, a uv flasher maybe purple onion.
Green glo teaser head, chartreuse teaser head, purple haze teaser head,
Irish cream spoon in a couple sizes, kitchen sink spoon, go bananas spoon and cookies and cream
White uv hootchy, white glo hootchy, green glo spatter back blue glo spatter back and maybe a uv hootchy.
A couple packs of pink squirts. This will get you going for vancouver area.

Let's see... Top 5 of top 5 for 25 pieces of gear? Or just top 5 pieces period?

Vancouver gear only? No problem... vancouver only.

Flashers: traditional green hot spots. Basic mylar...nothing fancy... Followed by a red and blue one. Green blade with glow on one side as well. Last one would be the purple onion.

Anchovy teaser heads by Rhys Davis. Glow, Mother of Pearl, purple Haze (clear), bloody nose and straight red.

Spoons: Irish Cream, Green Glow, homeland Security, half/half blue/nickel, Glow Cop Car.

Hoochies: Pink Squirts for Sox/Pink. Purple Haze, Army Truck, classic Spackleback and straight good old white.

Plugs: not commonly used but if you're feeling really lazy... 5" 168, 232, or 500 uvii or 601 for winters.
For mature fish 6": a 600, 602 or 530 UV. These are really only for big slabs which arrive in August and off the Fraser. Again, be prepared to sit around and do a lot of talking and drinking while you wait.

original green hot spot flasher...
22r octopus hootchie or a green splatterback.
number 5 50/50 glendon stewart spoon.
or a flaming hans .....
good luck... keep it simple.

One thing to consider is top 5 for what?

Winter
Spring
Summer
Late summer/fall

and which species you're after....

Good point, Seafever. I knew this wouldn't be as easy as I'd imagined. I'll assume Pinks and Sox are kind-of off on their own in terms of gear, colour, etc. (I was going to get a few 8" flashers to use as dummy flashers, and then have some small pink and pink/white hootchies), also got some bass gear that I was going to cast buzz bombs and gibbs minnow at the schools.
As for Chinook and Coho in the spring and summer, is there enough overlap that a basic setup made up of the most common flashers, hootchies, anchovy heads, etc. listed above will work?
Winter Chinook is all spoons, or so I've been told, so that makes it easier.
Thanks all for the great advice.
I can't wait to get out there this season ... with a minimalist supply of tackle to start, since I'm broke from buying a new boat.

Back