Milky lower unit oil mercury 8hp

Fishin

Doing regular maintenance on my boat last night thought I’d change the lower unit oil for the season, main motor was good, but my kicker surprisingly came out looking like milk, definitely recommend checking your boats regularly this motor only has maybe 50-100 hours on it tops its a fairly new motor only 2 years old. Guessing I’ll need to do prop shaft seals maybe more? Is it worth taking it into the shop or is this something I can do at home? I replace my lower unit oil every 100 hours like it calls for.

Attachments

• 5C954E60-786A-4E00-A401-3F64F8F83393.png
    5C954E60-786A-4E00-A401-3F64F8F83393.png
    689.5 KB · Views: 61
Doing regular maintenance on my boat last night thought I’d change the lower unit oil for the season, main motor was good, but my kicker surprisingly came out looking like milk, definitely recommend checking your boats regularly this motor only has maybe 50-100 hours on it tops its a fairly new motor only 2 years old. Guessing I’ll need to do prop shaft seals maybe more? Is it worth taking it into the shop or is this something I can do at home? I replace my lower unit oil every 100 hours like it calls for.
Prop shaft seal replacement is no big deal on most. Build up your confidence on YouTube and read the shop manual online. For many outboards you can pull the prop shaft seal without removing the carrier. Don't scratch the shaft. Carefully install the new seal. There are also shift and drive shaft seals. You can do a pressure test to see where the leak is. Flush out the milky oil residue afterward, then replace the lube.

Last edited:
Some old gaskets or remnants of it get sealed to the drain screw making the addition of a new gasket risky business and potentially inviting water in. Exacting knife to get the old crap off for a clean seal and a new gasket.

what size is that kicker?? looks pretty big, my mistake, the engines merge into one in the photo- at least to my old eyes:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If your motor is only two years old wouldn’t it be covered on warranty, worth a shot on getting them to fix it unless it had fishing line or something get in there.

If your motor is only two years old wouldn’t it be covered on warranty, worth a shot on getting them to fix it unless it had fishing line or something get in there.

I’m not to sure, I bought the boat used the motor was on it when I got the boat don’t have anything in my name I could use for manufacture warranty.

what size is that kicker?? looks pretty big, my mistake, the engines merge into one in the photo- at least to my old eyes:rolleyes:
It’s only an 8hp hahah, definitely looks a little strange in the picture was pretty dark

Attachments

• FA526F37-598D-420A-903F-B1AAD4EFE60E.png
    FA526F37-598D-420A-903F-B1AAD4EFE60E.png
    1 MB · Views: 50
Just did my buddy’s bran new 9.9 merc this morning,oil change and tune up, 1 year old used for a total of about 40hrs( fresh water lake boat) water in the gear case wow, no rubber gaskets around both drain plugs, Wtf I said to him, so got the gasket and he will be checking it out after his next time on the water, hope for him it fixed the problem

Just did my buddy’s bran new 9.9 merc this morning,oil change and tune up, 1 year old used for a total of about 40hrs( fresh water lake boat) water in the gear case wow, no rubber gaskets around both drain plugs, Wtf I said to him, so got the gasket and he will be checking it out after his next time on the water, hope for him it fixed the problem

Attachments

• 70EC0A1F-6EEB-4167-8996-99307E3C0CB1.jpeg
    70EC0A1F-6EEB-4167-8996-99307E3C0CB1.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 85
Back