Mexico Fishing Akumal ?

Tips Up

Going to be in Mexico end of April to first week of May. Staying at Baha Principe in Akumal. My son and I are wanting to take a charter. We would prefer to catch a variety of fish on lighter tackle rather than troll around for a bill fish. Would like to be on our own boat. Not a seat on a boat.
Anyone have any experience in the area?
Thanks

Going to be in Mexico end of April to first week of May. Staying at Baha Principe in Akumal. My son and I are wanting to take a charter. We would prefer to catch a variety of fish on lighter tackle rather than troll around for a bill fish. Would like to be on our own boat. Not a seat on a boat.
Thanks
Lots of shore fishing opportunities near boca paila bridge, south of tulum. If you want a guide the guys at pesca maya are supposed to be good

Thanks
I just came back from 6 weeks in Nuevo Vallarta. I took down a bait casting reel and some Rapala type lures, and bought a rod down there. I fished off the beach four or five times, casting these lures, no luck.

A couple of Brits showed up one day with rods, and bait, and hooked 20 their first day.

They were using a sliding weight arrangement, a leader about 24 inches long, with a corky on the line at the hook to float the bait off the bottom. For bait they were using fresh shrimps that came from the grocery store.

I switched over to bottom fishing, and my results changed immediately.

The best thing I learned from them though, was they travelled with a golf bag. They put their fishing gear in it, and anything else they could up to the maximum bag weight. I was impressed. A whole lot better value for an extra bag charge than taking a single rod down in a tube for the same price.

A couple of Brits showed up one day with rods, and bait, and hooked 20 their first day.

They were using a sliding weight arrangement, a leader about 24 inches long, with a corky on the line at the hook to float the bait off the bottom. For bait they were using fresh shrimps that came from the grocery store.

Sometimes you can buy Shrimp off the chef at your hotel if it has a buffet-Squid too.

Thanks. Definitely wanting charter rather than shore fishing. Ill check out the dive shop website snd any other suggestions that come up.

I just came back from 6 weeks in Nuevo Vallarta. I took down a bait casting reel and some Rapala type lures, and bought a rod down there. I fished off the beach four or five times, casting these lures, no luck.

The best thing I learned from them though, was they travelled with a golf bag. They put their fishing gear in it, and anything else they could up to the maximum bag weight. I was impressed. A whole lot better value for an extra bag charge than taking a single rod down in a tube for the same price.tree
I was in Nuevo a few years back and took a charter on a recommendation. We hit a bait stop on the way out then hammered dorado on live bait. After we spin cast for some strong fish that I can’t recall name of and had some bycatch. That’s the sort of thing I’m looking for. My son would be happy to catch a variety of fish.

Thanks
I was there more than 10 years ago so don't know how it looks nowadays. Back then there was a nice little coral reef in swimming distance from shore - one of a few half way intact reefs left there. Was really cool. On the way to this reef you would cross an vast eel grass area that had a good number of sea turtles around. Also cool. The resort offered fishing charters but it was always breezy when we were there and I didn't want to risk a puke fest. They had pictures of barracuda catches and some trevally species. Once I spotted a huge barracuda near the coral reef - it looked mean with fierce teeth showing. This beast had to have been 6 - 7 feet long! I thought back then what a blast it would be to battle this beast on a fishing rod. Have fun and share some pics when you get back!

Last edited:
As for fishing from shore there, or even snorkelling, they have become very restrictive over the last few years of where you can and can't go, especially around resorts.

Once I spotted a huge barracuda near the coral reef - it looked mean with fierce teeth showing. This beast had to have been 6 - 7 feet long! I thought back then what a blast it would be to battle this beast on a fishing rod.
Barracuda don't fight that hard for their size mostly it's like winching in a Ling Cod with his nasty toothy yap wide open.

Thanks
Bring ur own sharpening stone..... All Hooks were dull on my panga...... I had to sharpen all the hooks myself

I am booked with “The Rusty Hook” out of Playa del Carmen based on a recommendation from friend and good reviews. My son is very excited.
Looking forward to a break from the crappy weather here and a new fishing experience with the kid.

I am booked with “The Rusty Hook” out of Playa del Carmen based on a recommendation from friend and good reviews. My son is very excited.
Looking forward to a break from the crappy weather here and a new fishing experience with the kid.
Please be sure to give a full report. Perhaps take a hook file.

Perhaps take a hook file.
Last time I was in Mexico it cost me $C8 for a file and not a big one-I found things there are much like here-cheapo useless files made in the 'usual place' or top dollar for British made quality.

Please be sure to give a full report. Perhaps take a hook file.
Will do. I like the file idea. Always good to leave the crew with a gift.
This outfit looks to have decent gear with a variety of options from trolling to spin casting. I hope to do a bit of both.

Last day in Mexico today. Flight got changed at midnight last night so I am up early with 3 hours to chill.
fishing with the “Rusty Hook” went well. Pretty consistent on shore wind all week here makes for pretty tough seas
Great boat. Great crew. Gear is in water not far from sure at 450ft deep. Doesn’t take long to be in 1400 ft.
First 10 min we had a sailfish take the gear off outrigger but did not stick. It followed for a minute and guide worked to get it to take but no go. 10 min later a small mahi mahi to boat. Then quiet for a while. Later got back on the mahi mahi and landed 4. We spent the last hour bottom fishing with light spinning rods filling my kids bucket list of as many weird species as possible. Good trip. Kid was all smiles.
would recommend this charter. Family operation, good English speaking and super accommodating. They worked hard for us.
At the end they gave us a couple fillets and directions to a restaurant 10 min walk that cooked us up a great lunch of mahi and trigger fish.

Attachments

• A71286BD-98ED-4DB9-86C8-C50E04B3F0CF.jpeg
    A71286BD-98ED-4DB9-86C8-C50E04B3F0CF.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 8DCA490E-7233-4B55-8CD1-AE8CA7EE5126.jpeg
    8DCA490E-7233-4B55-8CD1-AE8CA7EE5126.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 59
  • EA8D3B40-72CC-4E8C-9402-D60D82733008.jpeg
    EA8D3B40-72CC-4E8C-9402-D60D82733008.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 0ACBC62D-EBD3-46A5-BCBC-A76859D18637.jpeg
    0ACBC62D-EBD3-46A5-BCBC-A76859D18637.jpeg