mercury 9.9 bigfoot water in oil

How did you flush the engine? Did you just drain it and put in new oil and filter once?

I only put a couple of hours on the first oil change, then changed it a second time.

That is your problem by the picture. That has to close tight when required to. Replace it, that is your cheapest option and the one with the best odds to remedy your problem.

Wrong !
Gas will. Thermostat ! Honda 50 “made oil” thermostat failure. Ethanol in fuel does it

as far as I know making oil results in gassy smelling thin clear oil that is usually reading high on the dipstick.
a stuck thermostat does not allow the engine to heat up sufficiently to burn off extra moisture in the crankcase.
milky oil is almost always water intrusion.
water and oil emulsify when mixed together and the milky oil is the result.

A good cheap tool to buy is one of those infra red digital temp gauges from Can Tire. They work quite well and seem accurate too. Just point at what ever you want to check and it gives you the temp. I have used it to check inside wall temps in the winter throughout the house...lake water before jumping in lol and engine head temps. They go on sale for $19.99 once in a while.

as far as I know making oil results in gassy smelling thin clear oil that is usually reading high on the dipstick.
a stuck thermostat does not allow the engine to heat up sufficiently to burn off extra moisture in the crankcase.
milky oil is almost always water intrusion.
water and oil emulsify when mixed together and the milky oil is the result.

Sorry Scott
That totally sounded douchie ! After I read it again.
It sounded funny in my head when I wrote it.

When the little outboards run cold they run really rich. Dumping fuel into the cylinders and washing right into the crankcase.
Crap gas with ethanol (coop is really bad ) helps make that emulsified slurry.

Happened to me on a Honda 50. Which I pulled my hair out over because I couldn’t find any information on it. Then again on a yammie 9.9. Both times thermostat was the issue.

Back