Maybe Enviornent Canada should stick to the weather

Unless I'm missing something I think this is great. Most people who eat farmed salmon have no clue what they are eating. Which makes me think those same people will eat this. Which in turn would put some more pressure on the fish farms with some healthy competition. I wouldn't mind if GMO salmon grown somewhere else buried the fish farm industry here.

MMM GMO salmon.. wow...if it buried the fishfarm industry here on the westcoast i would be suprised.. maybe netpen fishfarmed gmo salmon would be the outcome..

What stops them from bringing those GMO eggs to BC?
It sure is not the new Fisheries Act
What serious harm could they be if the females are sterile?
Playing checkers when these guys are playing chess.

In addition to the risks and concerns about these GMO salmon posted here, there is the issue of feeding the crop.

All that fast accumulating flesh and calories has to come from somewhere. So what extensive take up and use of these "fast growing" GMO fish would mean is even more strip mining of the worlds oceans to catch the forage fish and process into pellet feed. You cannot get something from nothing!

So the use of these types of GMO fish will just lead to faster and more extensive erosion and destruction of the ocean food chain. Bottom line, attempting to "farm" carnivores is a dead end zero sum game and cannot be done without severe ecological damage. Some humans just do not get they are not "exempt" from ecological laws and mechanisms which govern the way the whole system works.

Bottom line, attempting to "farm" carnivores is a dead end zero sum game and cannot be done without severe ecological damage.

Englishman, you hit the nail on the head! This is the absolute crux of the problem and still seems to get only passing mention.

Back