Masset rivers

cammer

Im heading up to Masset to stay at a friends lodge and me and my friend will be the only fishers there, i have a few questions for anyone who has fished the Yakoun et al up there, are there well defined trails along the rivers edges or is it bush whacking? Are the other rivers besides the Yakoun, easily fished? its going to be a hunt em up type trip with no guides around or others to stream info from so all info will help. Danke

Yeah hey I've been up there a few times, there are trails you just need to find them. They follow both sides of the river. I would concentrate on the section of river above the middle bridge up to the closed area. Try to find the powder pools area and fish there and downstream is a really nice slot that always holds a fish or 3. In my few times I have been there we do not do well fishing the pools, most luck is in fast water slots, you can also drift the river easily. The fish can be big and you should have fun. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

thanks for the reply, im hoping for the fishing of a lifetime as it is fishing mecca, was hoping to be guided but now my skills will be tested.

Look at a map of the Yakoun lower end before you start chasing along the river. The oxbow section has confused more than one off Islander when all of a sudden you reaalize you are heading the opposite direction to when you first started!!!:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Brian, i will when i get back from mexico, ****e internet here, im just hoping there is a good push in the river, are there any others in the area of masset, rivers that is

Ooops- sorry Cram-- That second Cuba Libre did me in.. Its the Tlell that has the oxbow near the bottom end that confuses people . This river requires local knowledge--

The Yakoun is easier to get around as the logging road follows the river for quite a way. Good luck!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Land of the Hawgs for sure. Lots of trails if you look around. We fished the upper areas below the washed out bride down to Papa Johns. Tons of great water. Large very agressive fish taking gear as we reel in our gear! I had two over 20 lbs to the beach in one day and the smallest we caught was 12lbs. Fish the water like the Stamp, small shallow riffes and rock gardens, tailouts. We found very little in the way of fish in the big deep pools. River is very colored most of the time so big presintetions are the norm.

So when are we going?????

Kanolee would be up for it I know. What about Luna. I am sure he's heard the stories if not fished it himself already.

Let's go.

I guess i'll have just missed you im gonna be heading across from rupert on the 31st sunday and staying til the thurs night ferry then fishin the kalum for a day before flyin home. Good luck leave a few in there for me to mop up.

Flyin home eh Chev, not up for the 50 some odd hours of sailing that you were talking about.. Enjoy the trip, I will try and save you a spot on the stamp>>dirty:D

Yah I looked into it and i can fly up to terrace and back with Jazz air for the same $$$ as drving up to hardy and walking on the boat just wont be able to fish the north island on my way back, have to save that for another time.

Good luck on the trip the river is at 1.8 meters as of today should be in nice shape for you. I don't know if youll have internet access while youre up there but i may shoot ya a PM for a report since im gonna be startin my trip the day you guys leave.

fishing was excellent for the first 2 days we were there then i couldnt believe that a remote river like the Yakoun could hide its bounty?? over the 2.5 days i hooked 15 and my buddy about 7, great people at Masett House and highly recommend them for excellence , bumped off a deer though one morning.

Glad you found some Cammer.
Did you fish the Powder House Pool?
Is that giant Spruce still grounded on the bar above it?
I caught my first ever steelhead on a fly way over in the far tailout of that place in 1989, back when I first tried fly fishing for them. Mickey Webster gave me the fly, a chartreuse thing tied with a lot of crystal flash. Used a 6' Dan Bailey braided sink-tip with a short leader off a floating line and mended that thing all the way over there. Couldn't believe it when the line tightened up and there was a fish leaping across the pool. Started my descent into madness I'm sure, although I've recovered now. LOL
Lots of good water if you don't mind walking a bit too.
Hope you found some of it.
I've got a lot of fond memories from the Charlottes back in the '80's. :D

Take care.

Up in charlotte right now and like cammer said, the fish have all shot up past the boundary. Did 9k worth of hiking on monday for zero fish,covered a ton of water. only saw a couple boots swimmin around. Pounded it hard, nice water level, very frustrating. Nothin but cutties and dollies in the tlell yesterday.

Back