Marine gas

C

crazy eagle

Bought a little boat with a 50 hp mercury classic .
Filled it up with 93 oct. ran well .
Filled it now up with marine gas , and dies after 2 hrs trolling .
Coincident or a reason ?

Marine gas itself should not be an issue.... can you see into your gas tank to see if there is any water or sediment on the bottom of the tank?

Water in gas / crud in gas are the two most common "and then it died" suspects. Drain the tank, drain/replace any water filters on the outboard itself then prime/turnover the engine several times to clear out whats in it. Let it sit for a while, then try to start it again. Some marinas are infamous for water in their gas so lot's of folks have one (or more) in line filters to deal with it. We change ours every two months and what comes out of them has so much water in it looks like oil and vinegar dressing.

Hopefully you just got a bad batch of gas......

Thank's for the tips .
Gas from mohawk at the big rock .
P.s. She died only at trolling speed .After I got her going again she purred at running speed .

you probly fouled your spark plugs after rubbing at a low speed and cold temperatures

Check your filters,sometimes the dye they use in the marine gas clogs the filter it happened to me last year, bought the gas in Port Alberni.And what SIR said too.Look in the bottom of your tank you'll see little tiny balls rolling around,thats water.DAN

That Gas from the Husky formerly Mowhawk scares me. Go to any US based boating forum and you can see that there is all kinds of problems with Gas/Ethanol Blends. The Car Gas at Husky/Mowhawk has Ethanol. I asked the lady there about the Marine Gas and she seemed to think it came from a different tank with no Ethanol. However the marine pump has a sticker advertising "Mother Nature's Fuel". For the few pennies a litre, no thanks. The New Shell at Willis has Shell Mid Grade Top Tier, and that's my preference on the trailer, or the Esso Dock in town. Sorry Husky/Mohawk, but that is way too ambiguous to waste $100 in fuel and then repairs on.

Again thanks for the tips . Where is willis gas station ?

Now I'm concerned. I recently changed to marine gas from the Mohawk in Courtenay and have experienced similar loss of power on the troll. I was informed by a mohawk employee that the marine gas did not have the additives and seeing my engine is an older johnson 9.9, I should use the marine gas. I guess to be safe I should go back to just regular, where I had no problems at all. eman

The Shell is at the intersection of the New Island Highway and Willis Road, left hand side if your headed towards town. Just up the hill from River Sportsman if your heading towards Courtenay.

I was told the same thing, but the pump still had the sticker on it, and unless they want to back it in writing, I'm not taking the chance. For a 9.9, it's not even worth the trouble. Buy the highest grade car gas if your running a 2-stoke, your really not buying that much.

Mohawk gas may be ethanol and does not have the additives to be used in marine or two stroke applications or doesn't bond with the oil or something like that. I read this somewhere in a report that my friend had. Might want to try using a normal gas instead of an ethanol base gas.

Just had the same type of issues with my Yamaha 8HP. It would run but died quickly at low speeds. I did the whole "Seafoam" thing trying to clean the motor. Didn't help so I took it in to the shop. When they opened the carb they said it was "full of junk" and that the idle jet was bad. They replaced the jet and rebuilt the carb and it's runs great now. I asked how to keep that "junk" out of the carb. He asked how often I changed my water seperating filter. Told him once a year. He said I should change it every 6 months or at least make sure I open the bottom valve on the filter and drain off about a 1/4 cup of gas every month. Said that would help considerably. Hope that helps. Sounds like you may have a carb rebuild in front of you.

Hey Eaglemaniac.I have worked on the pumps at many gas stations and I can tell you for a fact that the marine(marked) gas is identical to their regular and premium grades.
Gas stations have two tanks for gas-one for regular(89 octane) and one for premium(91 octane).Mid grade is a 50/50 blend from both tanks.Dyed gas is dispensed from a pony bottle attached to the pump dispenser.What you are getting is exactly what the companies are promoting as additives to their regular gas.
Have you tried co-op gas if it is available in your area?Never had a problem with their marked gas
Hooch

My 9.9 kicker started crapping out also after a few hours of trolling. Im thinking it may be old gas as it was from January. The carbs are very simple and I tore it apart, blew out all the jets with a compressor and reasseblemed in about an hour or less. Damn thing runs better then I can last remember. Its back to idling smooth and starting before I can release the start button.

Got some advise from the mercury man : Run a 75 : 1 mixture of a second tank , and switch over when you troll .
Sure sounds logical . Any comments ?

Back