Marine first aid

Fishing Guide

Cheers All...it is again that time to ensure all guides - as well as interested sports fisherman - have
their Marine First Aid. In that effort I will again be setting up ONE course to cover any who wish to
re-new or qualify. Guides are aware that they require either a Standard First Aid or the preferred
Marine First Aid to ensure TC complience.

I need to know numbers and names so I can arrange an instructor, materials as well
as booking a first aid room for the day. We will be maxing out at 10-12 persons and we
already have 2 so, first come - first served.

Cheers,

We would pick a date sometime in either Februrary or March. While the
Standard First Aid is one day and Marine First Aid is usually two days,
we have run the MFA on one "long" day with all the participants doing
re-certs. The price is the best on the island and depends on if we
can get a full class.

if you can make it happen in Nanaimo then i'd be able to make it over
then its mid way for folks top or west of the island
ball park on the price would be helpful

have a para-medic buddie who instructs up to level 3/red cross first aid if that helps but hes here on the sunshine coast
and able to get a class room for the event if that helps

pm me FG i can pass his details on

Cheers All,

The course will be held at a First Aid Training Facility in Nanaimo as it already has all the materials
as well as classroom. We have run all our courses out of this facility and it is second to none!

I will be closing off the list this Friday (midnight) and will offer spots to those that have shown interest.

As for the cost...it will be least expensive if we have a full class of 12 but, should we come up a few
bodies short, it simply means that we may pay a few dollars more.

I don't make any money off this ... we pay what the course costs to put on and I have not found a cheaper
course anywhere on the Island.

Let me know by Friday....

Cheers All,

Course has now been set for March 17 and 18. We need 6 bodies to make it
a go and we now have 2. Price is $140 including materials and taxes.

I must know by March 7th or the course will be cancelled.

They are pretty much the same thing, BUT Transport Canada only accepts the marine first aid for marine work, not the level 1 fist aid. That is my understanding anyways.

To avoid ever getting any incorrect training or for any marine related certification questions, I highly recommend calling transport canada to hear the answer first hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers All,

RE: Marine First Aid vs Standard First Aid

According to TC a 15 Ton or less vessel transporting 12 or fewer passengers
requires: (AND I QUOTE FROM TC)

"Marine Basic First Aid or Provincial/Territorial Recognised First Aid Training"

We do not have enough bodies to run the First Aid Course this year so will
be cancelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back