Many people release the big halis?

Just wondering Saxe, youre not the guy who keeps stirring up **** on here and getting booted off only to come back under a new name and do the same are ya ? Your ranting sounds kinda familiar. anyhow just wondering.

I don't think I'm ranting, but you're talking about someone else. I would hope I wouldn't get booted off because of what I've said. There's a actually a guy who posted that what I said was logical. Just making some discussion.

I don't get it Saxe. Is all your trying to say is that poor and homeless need food more than than the average sports fisherman? Isn't that obvious. The way I read it was that you were saying there are other fisherman out there that need fish more than the average sports fisherman. Is this right? Who would this needy fisherman be? Commercial fisherman get more than enough fish after they are done. Aboriginal fisherman get plenty as well. They distribute throughout their community and from what I have heard and seen, they usually have a stocked freezer and don't finish what they are given before it goes bad. So you can't be referring to this group. Who are these poor and needy fisherman? Don't get me wrong, I have a job and could afford to buy food instead of catching it, (couldn't afford halibut on my wage) but I enjoy time on the water hunting down a fresh piece of meat. Also, I do feel there are people in our communities that need food more than sporties, but I can't conceive them using money to buy gear to try and catch their food. And considering this all stems from keeping large halibut, they would require a lot more than a cheap rod and reel to be able to catch these.

I've got a ? for you...... have you ever released a large halibut?

Dave, I think you get it pretty well. The point was only that people as fortunate as most of us, with the ability to go out in boats and fish for sport (and sometimes keep some of what we catch) should be a little careful when we say we "need" to get fish. Some people don't have the means to fish at all. The subsistence fisherman (and there may be a few out there) has a better moral or ethical claim to a fish than the sportsfisherman for the same reason that, as you say, the "poor and homeless need food more than than the average sports fisherman." One person's "need" is another person's "want". As I said, it was just a point made to put things in perspective. A lot of people didn't understand it that way and the whole rest of this discussion was spent trying to get them to understand the simple point, to no avail. There was no need for people to get so defensive. And when I suggested we move the discussion to something a little less stark and possibly more controversial, no takers!

Have I released a large halibut? Not in the sense we're talking about in this thread. I fouled up a harpoon job that cost my buddy what looked like big one. It might have been 70 or 80, so I don't even know if that counts as a big one.

What a **** show! Skip the class warfare, race warfare, and political warfare.

If you are lucky enough to catch a halibut, treat it well and respect it and the lives of its potential future offspring. If you keep it, ice it well, don't over cook it, and share it with friends and those in need and teach them to appreciate it, because you never know how long the resource will last. If you freeze it, treat it right and share it before it has a chance to get freezer burned.

If you catch a large female, enjoy the fight, assume it will breed once more if released (before being caught by a commie), assume this will increase the population, and feel good based on your assumptions. Or if you decide to keep it, treat it and your friends well. Just remember to dig all the gnarly worms out of it, before sharing it with your friends.

I have a strange feeling that I'll continue to wait a long time before I am faced with the decision of releasing a hali over 90 or 100 lbs. When I do, I'll let her go. She'll probably be salted with Japanese nuclear waste, local PCB's, and a sprinkling of dioxins we should expect are loaded into any long-lived fish in the Pacific.

with up to a dozen LL skates lying all around us on one specific spot we fish off the South Island 9/10ths of the Spring, it makes it a rather difficult decision to let the big one go, regardless of what your gut fealing is.

What are the chances it will get through the gauntlet? The next morning it will quite possibly be heading over the stern of an 88 % craft.

Two wrongs dont make it right, but the 88/12 stands out loud and clear to me.... Fockers!

with up to a dozen LL skates lying all around us on one specific spot we fish off the South Island 9/10ths of the Spring, it makes it a rather difficult decision to let the big one go, regardless of what your gut fealing is.

What are the chances it will get through the gauntlet? The next morning it will quite possibly be heading over the stern of an 88 % craft.

Two wrongs dont make it right, but the 88/12 stands out loud and clear to me.... Fockers!

Pretty much sums up the reality and rationality of the situation. Thanks Justin.

The subsistence fisherman (and there may be a few out there)

what even is a subsistence fisherman

You've got commies, FN and sporties. As far as I know that's it. If some unfortunate dude or dudet goes fishing he/she needs to go buy a license first and that means they're a sportie too.

Heres a sig for ya,

Have keyboard will babble.

Back