Major implications here if you fish the West Coast

What date are you using for First Nation immigration to North America? Seems to be missing their arrival date on your timeline, no surprise because some tend to forget we all came from somewhere else. We are all immigrants but just have different arrival times. A process that continues to this day. I remember hearing someone ( can't remember who) saying " we better learn to get along because no one is going anywhere"

I find it very unfortunate that many governments – including ours – do no provide adequate education at the earlier stages of learning to understand both the history and the governance structures – so that the electorate/citizenry can make informed opinions and ensure oversight and accountability from the government. I guess that is why many citizens lack the knowledge.

In short: there is no “one law”. Instead, there is an assortment of both written and unwritten common laws, bills, regulations, and courts – making a legal “system” - such that it is.

I think to start the description of what governance is – is to acknowledge that all humans on this planet can institute whatever governance structure that suits them and their culture. This means that in order to understand how we got here – and what is relevant – is to understand the history of our institutions.

As far as the Western European settler governance legacy goes – obviously one needs to understand how we ended-up with a British Parliamentary system. As far as First Nations goes – one similarly needs to understand their governance structures and history. We need to understand both – in order to understand how the law works – and some of the history of this country that is called “Canada”.

The history of the British Isles/UK starts with the Celtic peoples some 2000-7000 years ago. In terms of laws and governance structures – not much remains today other than the occasional céilidh. Then (in Britain, proper) came the Romans, and they left again (c. 500 ACE). Other than Christianity and the church – not much is left from that occupation. Then the Vikings and Danes – again – not much left for governance (exception: Iceland). Then the Angles and Saxons – and the structure of Kings and monarchy is the legacy there. Then the Normans (c.1066) – quite a bit of law was developed in those times and shortly after – along with the defensive castles that remain today. It is the time of the start of the development of British Common Law (and The Magna Charta and later the English Bill of Rights) – which is the 1st pillar of our current Canadian Parliamentary System (exception: Quebec). Then there is the colonizing of the so-called “new World”, and the country that later would become called “Canada” from ~late 1500s on the East Coast to mid-1750s on the West Coast. The British North American Act of 1867 formalized Canada as a country and later was revised and renames as the Constitution Act. In 1982, The Constitution Act was again revised – and one of the sections (s.35) became instrumental in defining law wrt FN Rights and Title. Out of these Acts – comes Bills passed by Parliament that then become law – each with their own set of Regulations that are subsequently passed through the Governor General after being published in the Gazette. Then there are numerous courts that act as the dispute mechanisms that further define the laws through case law.

As far as FN governance goes – there are many hundreds of separate First “Nations” across Canada – that all had their own governance structures long before the colonists arrived (thanks for that graph, BGM). They started their governance/hereditary systems from ~10,000-14,000 yrs ago. What constitutes what a governance structure has already been ruled on in our courts – as case law. Most of the case law wrt FN governance has been updated since the 1982 repatriation of the Constitution and s.35. However, across this country – there are also a set of Treaties that are still legal and relevant – with the exception of much of the West Coast – where many FN are not covered in Treaties.

So: short version: there is no “one law” - but many. It is complicated, and all humans have a right to the governance structures that make sense to them – as either settlers/colonists – or as FN.

:) LOL, you will have a full understanding once you have the information it is that you will need in order to build a full picture of what it is exactly that you envision. May I suggest reading the book, or at the very least take a bit of time to research Robert A. Williams, Jr. You'll be surprised at what Google can give to you for free. :)

Education can be priceless at times...

I am not getting in pissing match over what or what not FN are entitled too. You know I stand fair on the issue. I am just pointing out that you know that is some of my background and I dont thing Greece can be blamed to what is going on. As for occupying lands go to Europe. There are lands before Christ that were occupied it happened everywhere. Many parts of Greece were overrun by Turkey time and time again.

I hope one of these day FN and our communities can get things solved together. So far I would say on some instances it is not working here. Its funny we are such a young country and we cant seem to get passed this. You go oversees and its a totally different ballgame.

They are already going full bore on the faux commercial fishery for Salmon and Halibut. They want the crab and geo ducks where the big money is.

The horses are already out of the barn, enjoy it while you can.

I think this author (Williams) went back quite a bit farther than I did. I thank you for that perspective, ST. All new news to me. Something to think about, for sure. Seems Homer and Aristotle were the main purveyors of Greek knowledge, as Williams suggests.

However, I think the author - in the part of the video I have watched so far - doesn't credit that slavery and tribalism was inherent in the aboriginal culture long before the Europeans arrived. This distasteful part of humans was not brought to the Americas by the early Europeans - Europeans just eventually benefited from control of the resources because they managed to win most battles in the very long war against Aboriginal Rights and Titles (see Jared Diamonds works
and https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393317552) - until the indigenous peoples were able to benefit from the same legal and political protections as the once non-indigenous settlers.

So-called "Indians" in Canada were only allowed to hire legal council in 1951, to vote in 1961 - and it's only since the reparation of the Constitution in 1982 - did they have their rights affirmed - and have been able to use s. 35 in the Courts. See: http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/home/government-policy/the-indian-act.html

Last edited:
They are already going full bore on the faux commercial fishery for Salmon and Halibut. They want the crab and geo ducks where the big money is.

The horses are already out of the barn, enjoy it while you can.
There is a good book called The Salmon People by Hugh W. McKervill. We have been enjoying it for quite a while to the point where things are at today. It is a wonder there is even any salmon left. Kind of like the Old Growth as far as the eye can see until there is none left then move along to something else like Fish Farms.

I find it very unfortunate that many governments – including ours – do no provide adequate education at the earlier stages of learning to understand both the history and the governance structures – so that the electorate/citizenry can make informed opinions and ensure oversight and accountability from the government. I guess that is why many citizens lack the knowledge.

In short: there is no “one law”. Instead, there is an assortment of both written and unwritten common laws, bills, regulations, and courts – making a legal “system” - such that it is.

I think to start the description of what governance is – is to acknowledge that all humans on this planet can institute whatever governance structure that suits them and their culture. This means that in order to understand how we got here – and what is relevant – is to understand the history of our institutions.

As far as the Western European settler governance legacy goes – obviously one needs to understand how we ended-up with a British Parliamentary system. As far as First Nations goes – one similarly needs to understand their governance structures and history. We need to understand both – in order to understand how the law works – and some of the history of this country that is called “Canada”.

The history of the British Isles/UK starts with the Celtic peoples some 2000-7000 years ago. In terms of laws and governance structures – not much remains today other than the occasional céilidh. Then (in Britain, proper) came the Romans, and they left again (c. 500 ACE). Other than Christianity and the church – not much is left from that occupation. Then the Vikings and Danes – again – not much left for governance (exception: Iceland). Then the Angles and Saxons – and the structure of Kings and monarchy is the legacy there. Then the Normans (c.1066) – quite a bit of law was developed in those times and shortly after – along with the defensive castles that remain today. It is the time of the start of the development of British Common Law (and The Magna Charta and later the English Bill of Rights) – which is the 1st pillar of our current Canadian Parliamentary System (exception: Quebec). Then there is the colonizing of the so-called “new World”, and the country that later would become called “Canada” from ~late 1500s on the East Coast to mid-1750s on the West Coast. The British North American Act of 1867 formalized Canada as a country and later was revised and renames as the Constitution Act. In 1982, The Constitution Act was again revised – and one of the sections (s.35) became instrumental in defining law wrt FN Rights and Title. Out of these Acts – comes Bills passed by Parliament that then become law – each with their own set of Regulations that are subsequently passed through the Governor General after being published in the Gazette. Then there are numerous courts that act as the dispute mechanisms that further define the laws through case law.

As far as FN governance goes – there are many hundreds of separate First “Nations” across Canada – that all had their own governance structures long before the colonists arrived (thanks for that graph, BGM). They started their governance/hereditary systems from ~10,000-14,000 yrs ago. What constitutes what a governance structure has already been ruled on in our courts – as case law. Most of the case law wrt FN governance has been updated since the 1982 repatriation of the Constitution and s.35. However, across this country – there are also a set of Treaties that are still legal and relevant – with the exception of much of the West Coast – where many FN are not covered in Treaties.

So: short version: there is no “one law” - but many. It is complicated, and all humans have a right to the governance structures that make sense to them – as either settlers/colonists – or as FN.
Excellent, but some folks like to look at this whole issue with a black and white lens only.

As for changes to the curriculum in BC, it's happening. With the goal being to provide people with a frame of reference of history so that the issues can be looked at critically and not boiled down to a one size fits all headline.

Back