main eng. starting prob. after using kicker

quote:Originally posted by Sea Morgan

I had this prob a few years ago, I was advised to change the fuel line connector at the kicker, I have never had the problem again.

Seems like a strange way of fixing it, but if it works then why not try it. I like the idea of a fuel shutoff valve as well. Can any of these problems be caused by a pin hole in the fuel pump? I had a similar problem once, but it was so bad that I went through 5 gallons of gas in about 20 mins.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

When I heard the diagnosis on my problem I thought it seemed weird, but the technician said the connector can sometimes get a pinhole leak and cause a vacuum. The kicker was a yamaha 8hp. My hard starting was caused by a lack of fuel getting into the carb, not flooding so maybe a different problem.

Last few days no problem starting, both motors. Previously ran water separator 9.9 kicker with merc. 50, 9.9 with 60 merc. 9.9 with 75 mariner, then to cruiser 9.9 with 200 merc. 9.9 with 225 optimax. and now 9.9 with 225 suzuki, total 25 yrs. and never a problem. Was told that the racor heads will deteriorate. Only other idea suggested was to install shut off valve on main motor between bulb and motor to stop flow back. Put new lines on when installed 9.9 suz and now 2 yrs. later line was cracked and had to replace. Just don't make em' like they used to!

Back