Machining in Nanaimo

Mi Chica

Just a note of caution re a Nanaimo machining company. Thompson Machine Works in Nanaimo worked on my motor two years ago. They machined the crank, among other things. At 200 hours the crank is broken. I would never expect that with these motors. I have now found that my mechanic has experienced the same problem at about the same number of hours. He took it elsewhere, and not knowing who had done the work, they told him that the crank had been machined incorrectly and had been a "walking time bomb". Ask me how happy I am about all this! :( I certainly would never use them again, and I am choked!

Too much water, too little time

Did you spend the $ to have it magnafluxed tested? Hairline cracks are almost impossible to see with the naked eye. I know youre frustrated, but make sure you have all the facts before openly bashing an otherwise reputable outfit.

Most times when you take it after the fact for a second opinion, the other outfit will badmouth the first outfit. Im sure the crack was obvious after it broke.

Please explain how the faulty machining broke the crank.

Did you verify end play after you torqued the bearings? Verified rod big end clearance?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I'm not following this. Did they polish the crank? Or did they turn it down 10 thou? 20 thou ? Did they line bore the block ? What exactly did they do? Did you magna flux ?Did you spin a bearing ?Did it break at the snout or at the flywheel or in the middle? Stuck a few engines together over the years and am trying to understand this.And what fish lifter said.
Dan

All I have to go on is 2 mechanics, plus second machining company that did not know who did the work. The company I mentioned originally did the bottom end. Two others have had the exact same problem at virtually the same number of hours. Therefore, the note of caution. While I am somewhat of an innocent, the number of coincidences would seem rather high.

Oops, forgot to mention that I did not verify clearances, etc. That's part of what I paid darn good money for. If I had wanted to fumble through the rebuild on my own I would not have been surprised - I'm not a mechanic. Minor stuff I can handle, but I have neither the tools nor the expertise to tackle a job like that on my own.

Back