Lurkers or freeloaders

Bows Up

356 online , 78 members and 278 non-entities. I wonder what this place would be like if even 25% of them joined and contributed ?

C'mon folks, join and get the link to Chelsea Dagger. :cool:

Come out, Come out where ever you are. We won't bite. LOL

I joined quite a while ago, but, admittedly, I only "lurk" the majority of the time. I read through all the unread posts at least once a day, but being Alberta-bound, don't feel like I have much to add to most threads. If I had my way, I'd be living on VCI and have much to offer here, but alas, for now, work keeps me tied to far from where I want to be. Someday I hope. For now, I visit this site daily and keep dreaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Okay, I confess to be a lurker. I get a kick out of reading these posts but right now don't have a boat in the water. I hope my trophy is ready to go soon. Right now though, I'm in Maui looking out at the ocean, just had a bbq'd salmon for dinner. Yummy.

I think most people are afraid to post because many members on this site are so involved with anti fish farm, fighting the halibut regs, and lets not forget the Northern Gateway Pipeline that their posts and ultimately themselves will be attacked they will get chewed up and spit out like a bag of chum whether they are right or wrong.

Yep - you only need to be jumped on and called a moron, jerk, or commie sympathizer a few times before you get "post-shy".

I can still remember when I joined...I was a little freaked out about it. It was 2005 and I had just moved back from Edmonton. I hadn't really fished salmon since the early nineties, and had never fished with downriggers and flashers so was pretty green. I joined, asked some questions, got jumped on for not using the 'advanced search' function properly (I think that's pretty standard for newbies)...now 8 years and 1300 posts later I think I fit in pretty good here :)

Join up and contribute!!!!

50 boats fishing off Nanaimo every day and there's only about 5 people posting reports! I know some of you are on here watching....

i think for those of us wanting to learn stuff from the forum being a member other members are more receptive to sharing tips n tricks, i was called a true gorb punk for stating my opinion on here once,haha i must be a newb because even though i have fished around the island for many years i didn't know what that meant..i have 5 springs on my licence i know at least three of them have come from tips from members on here.. become a member and catch more fish!

I agree with the op, if you are going to use the info...contribute...simple, and it is obvious people are reading these threads, because from what I have seen there is a direct relation of reports of a given area - boats on the water the following day/weekend

as for people being worried about having there "heads bit off", I dont think that is the case. I think members appreciate any report, so unless you get involved in the political, conteversial, heated discussions, which personally I stay away from over the internet...I have opinions on these subjects, yes, but you wont hear them on here, if we are chatting at the dock/table face to face and the conversation arises, you will hear what I think

I think be respectful, take some posts with a grain of salt, and realize alot of people feel tuff/know-it-all behind a key board

don't be scared join and contribute!!

Signing on or "lurking" may depend on your computer settings.
On my machine I have to log on with each visit or I am unable to post, or view some photos.
If I don't have anything to contribute I usually don't bother to log on, hence I appear as a guest.

Not to say, the guest lookers should not sign up.
Just saying ...

Lurkers are just part of the game.....many lurkers have no intention of ever signing on...they are looking for fishing info and hotspots......but many of these people will never tell others where they are fishing....their lips are sealed.

I lurk on a lot of sites in other venues........I am just looking for info about something. Most sites have a sort of clique 'brotherhood" (regardless of what kind of site it is) with "regulars".

You are at the mercy of these people when you sign on as a noob.

They don't know you.

Usually there is the "spectrum" of responders to a noob. You get the good guys who are eager to help....but you also get the smartass dickheads, who, hiding behind their anonymity can't wait to say something derogatory.

You have to take the good with the bad I guess.

As far as the "Advanced Search" goes:- there's really not much reason for ANYBODY to post anymore (except for fishing reports)....because 99% of everything has already been covered here over the years......

It's a good function.......but I have no problem at all trying to help somebody out, even it's been covered or they don't want to put in the effort.

the only time the 'search' thing is an issue for me is when someone asks for a report on an area...and there's already a long running, well established thread right there on the same page...or worse yet a sticky.

Back