Lucky Lager

I love bzzr. All bzzr. Crafty, hoppy, lager-y; I like it all. “House” bzzr around here tends to be a bit on the craftier side - IPAs and stouts. “Garage” bzzr is cheap-and-cheerful - Old Sweatsockee, Old Style Pil (“bunny bzzr” my kids used to call it), PBR, etc. It gets handed out in pretty large quantities when the neighbours come around for a chat in the alley when the garage door is open. No one seems to complain, and I love an ice-cold garage bzzr after yard chores, or when sweeping up after a shop project, or just because a neighbour has stopped by while the kids are playing road-hockey or basketball in the alley, the music is on and I’m puttering around, organizing the garage and obviously looking for a buddy to have a bzzr with.

The only one I don’t really enjoy is Coors Light as, to me, it has an off-putting hint of bananas.

An old neighbour gave me this sign when he was cleaning out his garage - says he “picked it up at a tavern somewhere”, many years ago. I think it must be from the ‘60s or early ‘70s. The fluorescent light and electric motor still work, giving it the effect of a flowing waterfall and bubbles in the glass. It reflects my ethic perfectly.

And a gratuitous picture of a couple nice Howe Sound feeders from two weeks ago or so, just for fun.

Attachments

• 5FA40267-1795-4FC0-B674-756536498C8D.jpeg
    5FA40267-1795-4FC0-B674-756536498C8D.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 83
  • F8C8303C-6EE4-4E0E-BFE9-527F53C20483.jpeg
    F8C8303C-6EE4-4E0E-BFE9-527F53C20483.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 82
I love bzzr. All bzzr. Crafty, hoppy, lager-y; I like it all. “House” bzzr around here tends to be a bit on the craftier side - IPAs and stouts. “Garage” bzzr is cheap-and-cheerful - Old Sweatsockee, Old Style Pil (“bunny bzzr” my kids used to call it), PBR, etc. It gets handed out in pretty large quantities when the neighbours come around for a chat in the alley when the garage door is open. No one seems to complain, and I love an ice-cold garage bzzr after yard chores, or when sweeping up after a shop project, or just because a neighbour has stopped by while the kids are playing road-hockey or basketball in the alley, the music is on and I’m puttering around, organizing the garage and obviously looking for a buddy to have a bzzr with.

The only one I don’t really enjoy is Coors Light as, to me, it has an off-putting hint of bananas.

An old neighbour gave me this sign when he was cleaning out his garage - says he “picked it up at a tavern somewhere”, many years ago. I think it must be from the ‘60s or early ‘70s. The fluorescent light and electric motor still work, giving it the effect of a flowing waterfall and bubbles in the glass. It reflects my ethic perfectly.

And a gratuitous picture of a couple nice Howe Sound feeders from two weeks ago or so, just for fun.
Nice keeper beer promo piece. Olympia beer was our hangover beer, or breakfast beer when camping, but it was very weak. In fact, we changed their slogan from It's the Water" to "It's Water". Rainier did have the best ad's.

Does anyone remember the Coors take off on this one?
Motorcycle .... Shifting gears Rrrrraaaaa nnnnnniiieerrr bbeeeerrrrr Coors truck comes around the corner with the motorcycle stuffed on the front of it ... COOORRRSSS
It didn't run very long

I have this sitting in front of my TV so I see it every day, and it's from the old Ritz International Hotel that used to be in Vancouver but is long since gone. When my sister bought her house at Davis Bay, in 1981, this along with a number of other beer related items were left behind by the previous owner. Apparently, he had worked at the hotel and when it was shut down he saved a bunch of stuff. I saw it sitting in a far corner of my sister's place many times before I asked about it and then saw the other items that were there. She gave the pieces to me, and I gave three or four pieces away to friends but kept this for myself.
Ironically, I rarely drink alcohol and can't remember the last time I had a Lucky, probably years ago.

DSCN6501.JPG

I need to dust more.

Take care.

I have this sitting in front of my TV so I see it every day, and it's from the old Ritz International Hotel that used to be in Vancouver but is long since gone. When my sister bought her house at Davis Bay, in 1981, this along with a number of other beer related items were left behind by the previous owner. Apparently, he had worked at the hotel and when it was shut down he saved a bunch of stuff. I saw it sitting in a far corner of my sister's place many times before I asked about it and then saw the other items that were there. She gave the pieces to me, and I gave three or four pieces away to friends but kept this for myself.
Ironically, I rarely drink alcohol and can't remember the last time I had a Lucky, probably years ago.

View attachment 101116

I need to dust more.

Take care.

The Ritz International was well known. The rugby club I was with in Prince Rupert planned an international tour in the early 80's, planning to play in BC and WA State. Well as many men's rugby trips go, they ended up in the Ritz International watching peelers all weekend, never crossed the border at all, and still had commemorative jerseys made that still said International Tour '82 as it was technically correct!

Coincidentally, the jersey colours seem to match the Lucky logo.

29026478_10155020131216612_5772557052232597504_n.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

I remember Lucky Lager from the 60's only in bottle=>never in cans => that my parents had around. I don't remember any other beer from that time. (I figure it must of been the cheapest available as there wasn't much $ around.)

Later on I noticed my grandfather was into "Old Style" Pilsner.

il_794xN.4893851043_qww2.jpg

He too was always frugal (okay, we'd call it cheap, these days) but I take that as a sign he went through the "great depression" in the 1930s! Again =>never in cans. Did they have beer in cans back then?

Back