Lucky Lager

Like the hipster fad for PBR, consumed ironically of course.
I remember being at this pub on Commercial Drive a few years back. It used to be Avantis which was the perfect Old Irish style place with smelly carpets and lots of wood grain and green and gold all over. As lease prices increased it turned into another ****** craft beer spot known as Stateside, they focused on US craft beer served warm and flat. They gutted rhe whole place and replaced the booths with red ikea chairs, vinyl floors and glass railings. Gross. Aaaaanyway, to the point of the story. My friends still went there on the weekends for Football, I reluctantly joined one week. I asked for a Coors Banquet, nope. Busweiser? Nope. "We don't serve those kinds of beers here". Right as the waitress said it, I looked down and there was a flyer for "Thursday $3 PBR night!!!!". I never went back.

I like Fat Tug, but I can only drink one or two.
I go to the local craft beer place and have a couple of pints of something different.
I am not a reverse snob.
I cannot stand the stinky Bou, horrid beer.
There are a bunch of other beers that are plain terrible too.

I did a few shifts with my Rotary club selling duck tickets outside the Willow Point BCL a bit before covid.
Over 50% of the beer going out the door was Lucky.
It tastes like beer, it is available everywhere I fish on the island and although not Pacific Lager cheap, it is within budget to pick up a suitcase or two.
I understand that it does not suit some, but I would be careful slagging it too much around the island, you may be drinking your craft beer alone.

Full disclosure, I used to drink Extra Old Stock, nobody stole that malt liquor at parties and it tasted just as crappy warm as it did cold!
Come to think of it, I also used to smoke Export A greens. Maybe I just killed off all my taste buds back in the day!

I remember being at this pub on Commercial Drive a few years back. It used to be Avantis which was the perfect Old Irish style place with smelly carpets and lots of wood grain and green and gold all over. As lease prices increased it turned into another ****** craft beer spot known as Stateside, they focused on US craft beer served warm and flat. They gutted rhe whole place and replaced the booths with red ikea chairs, vinyl floors and glass railings. Gross. Aaaaanyway, to the point of the story. My friends still went there on the weekends for Football, I reluctantly joined one week. I asked for a Coors Banquet, nope. Busweiser? Nope. "We don't serve those kinds of beers here". Right as the waitress said it, I looked down and there was a flyer for "Thursday $3 PBR night!!!!". I never went back.
That place sucked lol

I like Fat Tug, but I can only drink one or two.
I go to the local craft beer place and have a couple of pints of something different.
I am not a reverse snob.
I cannot stand the stinky Bou, horrid beer.
There are a bunch of other beers that are plain terrible too.

I did a few shifts with my Rotary club selling duck tickets outside the Willow Point BCL a bit before covid.
Over 50% of the beer going out the door was Lucky.
It tastes like beer, it is available everywhere I fish on the island and although not Pacific Lager cheap, it is within budget to pick up a suitcase or two.
I understand that it does not suit some, but I would be careful slagging it too much around the island, you may be drinking your craft beer alone.

Full disclosure, I used to drink Extra Old Stock, nobody stole that malt liquor at parties and it tasted just as crappy warm as it did cold!
Come to think of it, I also used to smoke Export A greens. Maybe I just killed off all my taste buds back in the day!
Extra Old Stock, aka "High Test". Headache was as strong as the buzz.

In the late 90s we took my buddy on a stag to the Thompson river on a rafting trip. We stopped in at Hope for some beer all Lucky cans. The guy at the till laughs you must be from North van island “yep”. I would take Lucky all day long over some of the IPAs that are coming out these days. I don’t understand the fascination with these « boutique beers » as my old buddy would call them.

Cheers 🍻

who remembers beer beer, horrible but cheap
When I lived in Langley, pre 911, crossing the border was quick and easy, and the cheapest 24 flat of US beer was Old Milwaukee. We could buy our BC beer down there cheaper than up here at one time.

In the late 90s we took my buddy on a stag to the Thompson river on a rafting trip. We stopped in at Hope for some beer all Lucky cans. The guy at the till laughs you must be from North van island “yep”. I would take Lucky all day long over some of the IPAs that are coming out these days. I don’t understand the fascination with these « boutique beers » as my old buddy would call them.

Cheers 🍻
If you go to a craft brewery and get a sampler of 6-8 served in that wood plank with holes, you should find a few good ones within if you're being honest. The berry infused ones are too floral for me, but look at the flavours of coolers that sell well. There seems to be a market for it.

In my youth, Silver Spring beer is the first one I remember tasting, then Carling Black Label, and so on.

Who else went through the Molson Golden phase ?? We drank that like crazy then we had some crappy tasting cases and one of the guys I shot skeet with who worked at Molsons said .............................. oh you bought the bottles ........................... we burned that batch ......................... went back to High Test.

Oh and the Handsome waiter commercials for Cincinatti Cream ............................. almost forgot about that one.

In my youth, Silver Spring beer is the first one I remember tasting, then Carling Black Label, and so on.
Carling black label was my brand from the 1980's
In the 70's we drank shi**y draft from places like the Tallyho and the Ingraham
red terry cloth tables and .25cent glasses of the worst beer !

Carling black label was my brand from the 1980's
In the 70's we drank shi**y draft from places like the Tallyho and the Ingraham
red terry cloth tables and .25cent glasses of the worst beer !
ha ha, the red terry cloth table covers absorbed draught beer and cigarette smoke smell like crazy. I drank bottled beer at pubs for years, not from the draught taps. This was based on green beer in the system one underaged night at The Wheatsheaf. Everyone puked all the way back to Chemainus, even the cast iron gut guys.

25 cents per glass, and then instead of raising prices, they moved the white line further down the glass.

I can drink 15 Budweiser or Lucky and zero hangover or effect the next day, mostly... these craft brew pubs seem to over hop so many beers and even lagers. Most know that adding more hops is a good way to cover up a **** mistake. Sometimes one craft brew beer and i wake up just out of it. So much crap out there. Support local if you find a good one, there are many, but there are many more crap ones.

Back