Lucky Lager

In my rugby days, Labatt’s was pretty much a province-wide sponsor, so we always drank one of their beers, Kokanee was a big one for many years.
Kokanee. Now that takes me back. I can remember in the early 80s when it was available in BC only and some guy getting pinched trying to smuggle a van load back to Alberta.

I remember when Lucky went to the wide mouth can, it was like I got a new iPhone. They did some good marketing mid and north island, I remember when the Cumberland liquor store had fridges all donated by locals with a sign take just one, cold case of lucky. That was a long time ago, lots of good budget and premium beers brewed here with better ingredients that will kill you just as quick ;)
Their marketing wasn't quite Rainier beer level, but it was pretty good. The “I got Lucky on the Island” campaign was memorable

Last edited:
Choice of beer brand is often a reflection of historic availability. At one time - people were as faithful to the brand of beer from their local brewery as they were to their local hockey team. Often the 2 went together both on and off the ice. Often the rivalry was between ale verses lager drinkers.

Canada is very regionalized wrt choice of beer brand - altho less so than it was 20+ years ago. Marketing and the reductions in cross-provincial restrictions have changed the availability of brands - including those in BC. And the craft beer market has also taken off across Canada - especially in BC.

Starting out East - many of the Newfs got used to American brands after the American troops were stationed @ Gander & Goose Bay airfields & military bases in St. John's, Argentia, and Stephenville during WWII. Some 10,0000+ American Troops were stationed there. Coors was a common choice. But, I doubt if anyone in Canada drinks Bud Light nowadays though :)

Then Nova Scotia had it's very successful across Canada Keith's "Those who like it - like it a lot" campaign. You can find it in BC now. New Brunswick has it's own breweries in Saint John for Moosehead and Schooner. Quebec and Ontario had their numerous Molson/Labatts breweries. Labatts in particular was one of the 1st brands to spread operations & a customer base across the Prairies to BC. And the Canadians close to the 45th Parallel and the border with the US, and those tourism towns in Canada that cater to Americans - often had American beer choices in the fridge.

But like others on here - I quite enjoy the diversity we now have in beer brand choice & availability in BC and across Canada.

I actually have to pick up a case when I head to the island to fish....feels like bad a bad omen not to. Is it a good beer....hell no but it's not exactly terrible when it's nice an cold. Hell I flat out refuse to drink a Molson Canadian.
Ok we have to get one thing straight here: cold is not a flavour.

Lamenting the rugby days again....my UK buddy's wanted their beer a bit warmer, southern hemisphere wanted it as cold as it could be.
Born and raised in Australia, home of ludicrously overchilled beer. Refrigerated keg room, refrigerated lines, refrigerated glasses, even refrigerated taps. Beer is poured at 1°C. You can't taste anything.

Was sorta OK when mass produced lager was all there was, but now they're going craft. Pubs and clubs with good intention add some locally brewed small batch products, but their system chills them to death.

Born and raised in Australia, home of ludicrously overchilled beer. Refrigerated keg room, refrigerated lines, refrigerated glasses, even refrigerated taps. Beer is poured at 1°C. You can't taste anything.

Was sorta OK when mass produced lager was all there was, but now they're going craft. Pubs and clubs with good intention add some locally brewed small batch products, but their system chills them to death.
Exactly, thanks for adding your experience. It freezes your palate, you cannot taste the beer properly.

Back