Lowrance network setup

sly_karma

Crew Member
I've set up a basic NMEA 2000 network on my boat so I can share transducer signal and charting between the two HDS displays. I completed the install today but neither of the HDS units sees the other - the list of devices in the Networks menu is restricted only to the unit I'm viewing. I've had a good tinker around in the settings menus and perused owner manuals but nothing comes up. I have a power node connected and can read voltage.

I did read that transducer data needs too much bandwidth for N2K so that signal must be networked via ethernet, so I have a cable en route for that. The odd part is that the N2K network does have some functionality - I also installed a Lowrance fuel flow sensor and I can see its info on the display mounted aft for use whilst fishing. But the other HDS unit at the helm doesn't see this information, and I can't even find the sensor on the device list.

Any help appreciated!

This is my take on what the word 'network' means on a Lowrance unit, there is two kinds;

A network that connects peripheral devices ( gps ant., fuel sensor, trim tab sensors, engine data, autopilot, etc ) back to a single head display. The install manuals are refer to this config. as a 'network' - mostly because they share a common string of tee connectors back to the display unit. This is NMEA 2000 format stuff

Then there is a network that connects TWO display units to share data ( one or multiple transducers, side/down scan, audio hub, radar, etc ) That is refer as a network too - but in my understanding, there must be a device that acts as the 'hub' to exchange the Ethernet signals BETWEEN two head displays.

At least in my system, there is no way to share transducer(s) via the NMEA 2000 framework

Hopefully it all makes sense once the ethernet cable arrives.

The only reason you need a hub is to connect more devices than the one head unit can support.
In the PC world you can connect 2 computers via a crossover Ethernet cable. Once you add another device ( printer, computer, etc) you need a hub ( now called a switch) to connect many devices together.

Sly I would check to see if you have the latest firmware for both units. Someone else on the forum resolved a similar problem by getting the latest version.

I run 2 HDS units (gen2) with an ethernet cable and as mentioned above make sure both units have the latest updates.

Enter net cable shares the sonar, radar, chart on the new touch models. The orange head grey cable can go direct between the two head units or to a network box if there are more goodies in the system

I just did a NMEA2K and Ethernet install on my Lowrance units so might be able to help. Personally, I'd get the NMEA network running properly before you install the Ethernet cables so you don't end up making the troubleshooting more difficult.

A few things to check:

- for the NMEA backbone, any devices (e.g. plotters, power etc) connect from the top of the "tee"
- NMEA 2K backbone needs it's own 12v power to power up devices like the fuel flow sender -- there should have been a power "tee" in the kit you have
- you need to install both the Male and Female terminating resistor at the end of your NMEA backbone.

NMEA2K is a relatively low speed data connection that transmits at 250kbps compared to the Ethernet network at 100Mbps. It's a highly reliable network but given those speeds, it's limited to transmitting lower speed data (e.g. like depth, GPS position, fuel flow, temperature etc...). It doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit full Sonar images, radar etc...

Assuming you have your NMEA2K backbone connected correctly, and both plotters are connected -- if you go into the plotter settings, and look at the Network -- you should see your "devices" in particular the fuel flow sender. If you don't see it on either plotter -- then either your N2K network isn't connected properly (check the connection on each tee), or it doesn't have power, the terminating resistors aren't connected or you've got the device installed incorrectly (e.g. side of the tee vs. the top).

Good diagrams and description here: http://www.nmea.org/Assets/nmea 2000 mets 2011 presentation.pdf

I've set up a basic NMEA 2000 network on my boat so I can share transducer signal and charting between the two HDS displays. I completed the install today but neither of the HDS units sees the other - the list of devices in the Networks menu is restricted only to the unit I'm viewing. I've had a good tinker around in the settings menus and perused owner manuals but nothing comes up. I have a power node connected and can read voltage.

I did read that transducer data needs too much bandwidth for N2K so that signal must be networked via ethernet, so I have a cable en route for that. The odd part is that the N2K network does have some functionality - I also installed a Lowrance fuel flow sensor and I can see its info on the display mounted aft for use whilst fishing. But the other HDS unit at the helm doesn't see this information, and I can't even find the sensor on the device list.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks Tenmile. Once I got the fuel sensor showing on the aft display I thought something must be wrong with connection of the helm display. Everything appears to be tight and correct, but it's worth pulling it apart and reconnecting. Good advice re getting N2K sorted before adding the ethernet issues as well.

Pretty sure at least one of the head units needs to be Gen2 with a minimum of 2.0 software for chart sharing.
The original HDS series could not share mapping. The later generations have full chart sharing, so you only need one chart card in the system. So with one SD card you can display the "regular" chart on one screeen and have the high res Fish n' Chip/Sonar display on the other if desired. It's all software, i doubt it will happen but Lowrance could do a software update for the gen 1s to enable it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chart data is shared via Ethernet, not NMEA2K. The Gen-1 units can't share charts unfortunately (either send or receive). I don't think they have a fast enough CPU. I have a mix of both a Gen-1 HDS 7 (with a Navionics Gold chip) and a Gen-3 HDS 9. They can share Sonar and Radar (via Ethernet) but not the chart unfortunately -- the Gold chip I have is a standard size SD card, however the HDS 9 now uses the micro-SD size format so it won't fit -- and can't be copied.

Pretty sure at least one of the head units needs to be Gen2 with a minimum of 2.0 software for chart sharing.
The original HDS series could not share mapping. The later generations have full chart sharing, so you only need one chart card in the system. So with one SD card you can display the "regular" chart on one screeen and have the high res Fish n' Chip/Sonar display on the other if desired. It's all software, i doubt it will happen but Lowrance could do a software update for the gen 1s to enable it.

Yup...

although you can't "copy" there IS a way to do something a little different...it allows you to move different maps on and off he same chip which can be handy.

All good advice from TenMile, the only thing I may add is check to make sure your power node for the nmea 2000 network is located in the middle of the network, power distribution needs to be balanced across the network in order for it to function properly. Beyond that, if devices on the network aren`t showing as they should, start checking for bad tees cables and resistors by swapping them out one at a time.

Played with the network some more last night. Problem appears to be a faulty drop cable connecting the helm to the backbone. I switched in the drop cable from the aft display and immediately the helm display could see the fuel sensor. This cable was part of the network starter kit and I'm sorting out a replacement with the supplier today. Nice when the solution is fairly simple. Thanks to all who responded.

Sly

Replacement N2K cable installed and system working fine, ethernet too. Transducer and chart data sharing works. I must admit I'd never realised the potential in the HDS units, I just looked at charts a bit and mostly the sonar screen. Now I've got data overlays set up and reading fuel burn rate, battery voltage etc. I could've saved the money I spent replacing voltmeter in the dash. Who knew. Local power squadron runs a course on GPS basics, I think I better take it.

Youtube is your friend. Another member posted a link where Navionics are conducting a series of seminars. There is one on chartplotters shortly.

if you add a Point-1 heading sensor to your system you can overlay radar on your charts which is handy.

Not trying to hijack but can someone tell me how to start the trail again on my HDS 5 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from my HDS 7 which should be the same on the HDS 5
1. push pages button
2. go to Waypoints, routes, trails page and push enter button
3. got to trails and select new trail

Back