Lowrance LCX Series ,Reviews !! Opinions!!

Hey Bighorn why did the Lowrance guy say turn off the WAAS? Does this fix the intermittent signal or lost signal problem?

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Hey Bighorn why did the Lowrance guy say turn off the WAAS? Does this fix the intermittent signal or lost signal problem?

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

I think he might mean "turn off the WAAS Alarm" - I seem to recall having to do that myself some time ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Hey guys. Because we have a signal and then after hours it kicks out for 10-20mins the Lowrance guy figured it was because of the WAAS being turned on. I have looked and we will still have 6 or 7 satellites but no signal. He was saying WAAS was developed for Airline's and they implemented on their machines but he was saying in Canada it doesn't work very well so turn it off and then the signal should be more consistent. He was saying the idea of the WAAS was to make it more accurate so without it the GPS is accurate to 17ft. I havn't tried it yet but it seems to fit our problem. We have the LMS339 which has an internal antenna and he was saying he has never seen an internal antenna burn out but has seen it with the external antenna's. I hope this is the fix for the unit kicking out and losing signal intermittantly.

Hey Sushi Hunter, maybe just the alarm but seemed to me he said to un check the box for the WAAS. I will give it a go and see what happens.

quote:Originally posted by Bighorn

Hey Sushi Hunter, maybe just the alarm but seemed to me he said to un check the box for the WAAS. I will give it a go and see what happens.

You could be right - it's been a while since I set mine up.

I have two, an LCX-112c GPS/Sounder in the boat, and a 3500c in the truck.

The 112 has been a bit of a pain. I have a fuel sensor hooked up and it quite often loses the input for some reason. Could be a bad cable, but I just can't seem to track it down. I've lost signal from the antenna a couple of times becuase the cable ends were not tight a couple of times.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

You need to un check the box that says require waas for position
as if there is no waas available the GPS will not lock up

Just spent a day playing with a Lowrance gps/sounder, most of the problems it was having may have been caused by a combination of poor power and ground connections. Replaced the connectors cleaned the buss bar and got it running. Then the external GPS stopped responding. I put the meter on the end of the power plug and found only 10 volts on one post and 12 on the other. Gave the inline fuses a wiggle and that got the voltage up to 12. Next project is to lose the cheap inline fuses and replace them with quality inline plug style fuse holder and marine fuses. Previous owner was not good at boat maintenance or electrical installation. GLG

Back