Lowrance HDS 5X Gen 2 Opinions

Fish Nutz

Potentially looking at this unit for this upcoming season. It's a small boat and my eyes are good so the screen size isn't an issue and I will be using my iPad for charts so all I want is a good depth sounder. I have an elite 5x right now and it has been good but i'd like something with a little more power. If anyone can offer any opinions or suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try upgrading your transducer to an Airmar P66 50/200 Hz. This is the transducer I use with my HDS. For less than $200 I think it's worth it. Then if you upgrade to the HDS you can buy just a headunit to pair with your P66.

The transducer are the eyes and the head unit can only display what is transmitted by the transducer.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just bought an hds 5 today that came with a 50/200 transducer. is it worth upgrading to a p66 before installing? Bought it from West marine and they said they've discontinued selling the unit w/o the transducer.

50/200 works fine on my hds5 gen 2
Here is a screen shot.... oh yaa nice baitball!
dc9c3075701e911c57c62533e6872e45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by Westmarine that that the 50/200 Hz transducer that comes with the HDS is the same transducer as the Airmar P66. The only bonus to a P66 is the paddlewheel for actual surface over ground speed. I didn't confirm this with Lowrance so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a hds 5 with the p66 transducer. I was told by HC that the p66 is almost the same as the lowrance unit but it's 600 instead of 500 watts and it has the paddle wheel.

Do you then just run the HDS at 200 as it is an 83/200 unit? Or will the 83khz work in a 50khz transducer?

From what I understand not having used it yet is that it will work at 50/200. Lowrance makes a 50/200 unit that works with it so I see no reason why the airmar should be any different.

I have had The lowrance 83 200 and The 50/200 and the p66. The 50/200 is good but the p66 is better the 83/200 is not near as good imo

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a hds 5 with the p66 transducer. I was told by HC that the p66 is almost the same as the lowrance unit but it's 600 instead of 500 watts and it has the paddle wheel.

The 100 watts and the paddle wheel, bingo thats the only diff.. They actually talked me out of it yesterday , speed on the gps is pretty accurate..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back