Lowrance Elite 5 HDI to SH GX1600 radio

Da Bay Bye

I am trying to connect my Lowrance fishfinder Elite 5 HDI to my Standard horizon GX 1600 so my radio can display the GPS position. I have done some searching online and don't understand how to make this happen.

Am I just missing something here? I would think that the "extra wires" on each unit have to be connected to each other in order to display my GPS position on my radio.

Looking for any advise on how to do this.

Thanks

Should be as simple as connecting tx(+) and tx(-) to the (+) and (-) on the radio. As I understand it t stands for transmitt? That's how I have mine connected and it works.
http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/US/Elite-7_IG_988-10438-001_w.pdf

Yellow (+) and blue (-) Hopefully that makes sense. I think I only have 2 wires connected. Make sure your connecting to the nmea harness and not the power harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my SH GX 1600 Explorer connected to an HDS 7. The HDS 7 has the blue connector. So if your Elite has the blue connector then your wiring would be the same.
The wiring on mine is as follows:
1) From the GX 1600 connect the blue wire to the yellow wire on the GPS.
2) From GX 1600 connect the green wire to the blue on the GPS.
On the GPS set the Baud rate to 4800 and select NMEA 0183.

Thank you Brando and Alk. The color code worked just fine and I now have the GPS display working on my radio.

Don
(AKA Phil my boat)

Glad that it worked for you. Just a thought, if you haven't done it yet, get the MMSI number. It is free and then enter it into your VHF radio. In an emergency you hit the DSC button and it will automatically sent the message to the Coast Guard with your location.

I put my MMSI number in and no problems.

With the Standard Horizon model I have, there are warnings that if you put the wrong number in, the radio must be sent back to the manufacture to have it reset. So for those with a GX1600, please read the instructions carefully or it could cost you to have it reset.

Lowrance Elite 5 HDI to my Standard horizon GX 1600

I am trying to connect my Lowrance fishfinder Elite 5 HDI to my Standard horizon GX 1600 so my radio can display the GPS position. I have done some searching online and don't understand how to make this happen.

Am I just missing something here? I would think that the "extra wires" on each unit have to be connected to each other in order to display my GPS position on my radio.

Looking for any advise on how to do this.

Thanks

Ok, so I'm trying to do the exact same thing... I have a NDC-4 cable with three wires -- yellow, orangish red, and black.

This is what I received from Navico:
===============================
NDC-4 cable -- VHF radio

Yellow -- Blue

Black -- Green

Bare wire - Ground

Tape off remaining wires.
==============================

Two questions:

1. Am I only to connect the two, yellow and black, wires from the NDC-4 cable to the radio?? What does the "Bare wire - Ground" mean??

2. Do I need to modify the baud rate on the Elite 5 HDI to a specific setting??

I really appreciate the help from this forum! Thanks in advance!!

Stein

Back