Connecting GPS to VHF

Baxter

I have a question about connecting my Lowrance HDSLive to my Standard Horizon VHF

Do I simply connect the VHF to the NMEA connection? If so, how do I go about doing this, considering that the VHF just has a few wires coming out of it. I have tried to find an adapter or something, but can't figure it out. I have checked the manuals for both the VHF and for the Lowrance but also can't seem to find any proper instructions on how to accomplish this. Seems far more confusing than it should be!

I will probably have it figured it out before I get a response, but maybe not. I am guessing that I simply need an adapter of sorts and then it is basically plug n' play.

simrad video adaptor cable to chartplotter and then use the wiring in your vhf manual to connect the two wires needed.

Okay, I am getting closer! Found the spots in the manuals, but not exactly sure as wording is a bit different in each.

This is what it says in the VHF Manual
VHF --> Lowrance
Yellow NMEA GPS Input (+) --> NMEA OUT (+)
Green NMEA GPS Input (-) --> NMEA OUT (-)
White NMEA DSC Output (+) --> NMEA IN (+)
BROWN NMEA DSC Input (-) --> NMEA IN (-)

Problem is, the wording for the wires is different for the lowrance in each manual

Lowrance Wording

Yellow Talker A (Tx_A)
Blue Talker B (Tx_B)
Orange Listener A (Rx_A)
Green Listener B (Rx_B)

My question is how do I know what "talker/listener" wires go with the ins/outs noted by the VHF manual.

I know I have the correct wires, just not 100% certain which lowrance wires are wich.

Does any of this make sense?

Attaching an image for clarification! Hopefully this makes sense. I need to basically connect the dots here!

Attachments

• vhf-connections.jpg
    vhf-connections.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OKAY. I figured I was an idiot and just called Lowrance for confirmation.

In my diagram if I go from top to bottom it is correct. "TRX_A" is the same as NMEA OUT (+)

So "A" is Positive and "B" is negative.

Wired it up just now and it works perfectly :D

Last edited:
Back