Lowrance demos StructureScan, with "DownScan"

Sushihunter

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/07/lowrance_demos_structurescan_with_downscan.html#more

Lowrance demos StructureScan, with "DownScan"

Lowrance_LSS-1_cPanbo.JPG

Lowrance demonstrated its new StructureScan system in Orlando yesterday, with a surprise added feature. As expected, a high-frequency, very-narrow-beam transducer collects bottom info on each side of the boat and builds an almost photographic, though somewhat distorted, image as you move along. In the picture above (click for big version), we've chosen to display only the curious structure on the left side of our track. In other words, in that left window our boat is at the top right corner and the window shows the water column and bottom extending out about 70 feet to our left and about 200 behind us. The lower right window is normal Broadband Sonar image, derived from a separate transducer, but that upper right window is something different, as is the structure being imaged...

The transducer that comes with the Lowrance LSS-1 has an unusual third element that pings a 60 by 5 degree scan directly down, and is shown on screen (upper right) as what Lowrance is calling DownScan. The view is like regular sonar, but with higher resolution applied to a much narrower slice of bottom. The sketch below tries to explain the DownScan and side scan architecture within StructureScan, and also illustrates the maximum depths claimed. We were in much shallower waters on Disney World's major lake down here, which was unfortunately dull in terms of fish and structure. But I did see DownScan confirm what looked to be a fish hugging bottom on sonar, and I saw it lend more detail, or at least another point of view, to stuff we saw in the side scan. Like the large sunken wave machine seen above, which I'm told was only run once (I'd like to know more about that story!).

At any rate, it looks like Lowrance has developed another very interesting option the HDS series, like Broadband Radar easily installed and rich in near range detail. The fishing folk are already excited, and I'm thinking it may also work well for mooring tenders, salvage operators, and gunk holers. More to come.

Lowrance_LSS-1_beam_angles_cPanbo-thumb-465x249-705.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Direct rip-off of the technology pioneered and developed by HumminBird, this feature has been available for a few years already.

Nice to see the competition playing catch-up though...

Cheers,
Nog

Thats what I'm looking for, however I bet they are way to expensive for me to buy. Sure looks good though, if they are priced like the humminbird sounder/sonar/ gps units then I'm thinking the price for the new Lowrance must be $3000. or more.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Back